Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are my expectations too high?

I took the LSAT for the first time in June 2017 while I was abroad. I don't even want to mention what my score was (157), but I think there were a lot of contributing factors to that, as I consistently tested in the 165-170 range on practices. I really want to go to NYU for a variety of reasons. While I am not technically a URM, I am a former ward of the state/ foster child and I have a powerful backstory and personal statement as well as an interest in practicing public interest law. I have a 3.7 GPA, and I think that if I can score on the actual test within the range I mentioned earlier, I should have a real shot at NYU. Thoughts?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"laila.rose.maria81" said:
    I took the LSAT for the first time in June 2017 while I was abroad. I don't even want to mention what my score was (157), but I think there were a lot of contributing factors to that, as I consistently tested in the 165-170 range on practices. I really want to go to NYU for a variety of reasons. While I am not technically a URM, I am a former ward of the state/ foster child and I have a powerful backstory and personal statement as well as an interest in practicing public interest law. I have a 3.7 GPA, and I think that if I can score on the actual test within the range I mentioned earlier, I should have a real shot at NYU. Thoughts?

You absolutely have a shot at NYU with a 3.7/170. I think you'll certainly need a 168-169 to have a good chance, but people do get in with lower stats.

In short, your expectations are not too high at all! Keep prepping, leave your old score in the past, learn from experience, and get that 170. :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

The only thing I would add is that a lot of folks do score at least a few points lower on the actual LSAT vs. practice scores. So if you want that upper 160s, you'll want to aim for PTing in the lower to mid 170s.