Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The GRE Debate

bornsinner123bornsinner123 Free Trial Member

I'm a month into LSAT Prep and took my first practice test a couple weeks ago with a 156. I find the material learnable but definitely think that improving my performance on logic games, in particular, is going to be a very strenuous process. I wouldn't be able to sit until June of 2018 or January of 2019 due to logistical constraints. So I was wondering if it's worth getting a GRE score in beforehand considering the recent changes in admissions policies. Is it that much easier/shorter of a preparation process?

I've been told that it's limited to reading comprehension, writing, vocabulary, and geometric/algebraic concepts, which seems like much less daunting of a process. And I could still look into taking the LSAT at a later date. I'd also have more opportunities to take the exam, considering I'll be abroad and my host country only offers the LSAT twice a year.

I know it's limited to only a select few schools, but Harvard and Northwestern would literally be my two dream schools. And I'd be just as ecstatic with Georgetown. I'll be on a Fulbright for ten months starting in January and will be working in financial services for at least a year. I am also intrigued by having the opportunity of pursuing an MBA or a joint degree program down the line. I have a 3.98 GPA under a more math-intensive undergraduate degree than most pre-law students. I also came across an Economist article that implied that above a 3.87 threshold, schools don't even have to report the GRE score (source: https://gre.economist.com/gre-advice/graduate-school-admissions/which-exam-take/gre-vs-lsat-which-exam-should-you-apply-harvard-law). Thus, would you guys think it might be in my best interest to get a GRE score in over the next few months before the LSAT?

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

It's hard to exactly predict how the GRE trend will shake out. It seems like in the next year or two, many many schools will accept the GRE.

That being said, a 156 diagnostic is really solid. And while logic games might seem foreign to you now, they are the most learnable thing about the LSAT and with a few months work you will probably be missing very few questions on that section. 7Sage is the best way to do this.

I guess it really depends on how much time you have, when you want to apply to schools, how much you want to potentially pursue another graduate education.

If you're really set on law school, I would give studying for the LSAT a try and see how quickly you progress.

• BumbleJD1624BumbleJD1624 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

If you can't take the LSAT until June 2019, then why not give the GRE a shot. I wouldn't make GRE studying detract from LSAT studying, but from what I've heard from friends who have taken the GRE, it is a much more manageable test and is easier to study for. Plus the testing dates are x1,000,000,000 more flexible than LSAT testing dates.

I have a feeling that more schools will continue to jump on the GRE bandwagon. If you want to apply for fall 2018, then take the LSAT. But if you're not looking to apply until fall 2019 or later, then give both a shot.