Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Writing your own letter of recommendation

LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
in General 2134 karma

Ugh - so I finally got in touch with a former boss and asked him for a letter of recommendation. He and I had a very good working relationship. I finally heard from him and he said he would love to help me out! I was so happy because I really looked up to him and think he is brilliant. Well, the next day he emails me asking me to "take a stab" at writing the letter and he will add more to it. I'm dismayed now. Has anyone done this or have any form letters that I can start with?

Comments

• BumbleJD1624BumbleJD1624 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

The same thing happened to me! I asked a supervisor months ago about a LOR, and when I followed up with them a month ago, they asked me to draft it. It's actually a pretty common thing from what I've heard from my colleagues. I chose to see it as an opportunity rather than as an inconvenience. It's another part of your application that you have some control over. My supervisor has dozens of people under their watch, so this way I could make sure to include details and examples of my work that they may have otherwise forgotten about.

With all that being said, it can be hard to write about yourself! I just googled "law school professional letters of recommendation", and looked at various websites (usually from colleges/universities) that detailed what you should and should not include.

Unfortunately, I don't have a template to give you, but if you keep looking I'm sure you'll be able to find some great resources to help you out.

Good luck!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@BumbleJD1624 said:
    The same thing happened to me! I asked a supervisor months ago about a LOR, and when I followed up with them a month ago, they asked me to draft it. It's actually a pretty common thing from what I've heard from my colleagues. I chose to see it as an opportunity rather than as an inconvenience. It's another part of your application that you have some control over. My supervisor has dozens of people under their watch, so this way I could make sure to include details and examples of my work that they may have otherwise forgotten about.

With all that being said, it can be hard to write about yourself! I just googled "law school professional letters of recommendation", and looked at various websites (usually from colleges/universities) that detailed what you should and should not include.

Unfortunately, I don't have a template to give you, but if you keep looking I'm sure you'll be able to find some great resources to help you out.

Good luck!

Thanks Bumble. I will start googling - I want to say amazing things about myself actually ; ). But I will try to be humble.