Evaluating ACs: Top-to-Bottom, or Scan-and-Select?

LetsHigh5LetsHigh5 Alum Member

Hi, all. I'm curious to get your input about how you evaluate answer choices (ACs) on LR. Specifically, comparing the pros/cons of the two strategies below. If you're a "Sage" or have strong feelings on this topic, then I'm especially interested in hearing from you.

(1) Top-to-Bottom: Regardless of question type, start with reading A, decide to eliminate or keep, then repeat D-E. Finally, after process of elimination, selecting the best one among the remaining ACs.

(2) Scan-and-Select: Depending on question type, scan the ACs for what you think might be the correct one, read and evaluate, then repeat for the remaining ACs, always going from "most likely" to be correct to "least likely".

Of course, I have my own thoughts on both approaches, but for validity's sake, I don't want to bias your opinions one way or another. Here are some more factors to consider, as well:

• Question type
  • Pre-phrasing
  • Timing
  • Consistency

So, what do you all think? Do you use one strategy over another? Do you use both, but under different conditions? Thanks in advance for anyone who has something helpful to contribute.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

For me, It definitely comes down to those factors you listed above. Mostly question type will drive whether or not I scan or read from top to bottom. If it's a hard question and I know that (from experience) then I scan and often eliminate as many as I can first. If it's something I can anticipate, like a sufficient assumption, then I go into "hunt mode" and just look for the right answer.

That said, I didn't always take this approach. Another factor was my confidence/consistency. To gain this confidence and consistency, I not only prepped for a while, but I also did confidence drills where I would do a timed LR section and answer questions very aggressively. I wouldn't read all the answer choices, and would just go as fast as I could. From this, I was able to get a sense of where I could afford to be more confident. On these questions, I am much more likely to go into hunt mode and scan for the answer, pick it, and move on.

So I guess you could say I use both depending on the situation.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I think it depends on your level of ability.

If you're really good at LR, or at least certain question types, and you are quite confident you know the answer choice after reading the stimulus, then yeah do a kind of scan for the anticipated answer choice. I would do this for main conclusion questions, easy SA, easy NA, easy Flaw.

If you understand the stimulus but cannot anticipate the answer choice, then go ahead and read the answers in some arbitrary order.

I don't think it makes a ton of difference at the end of the day. This is the cherry on top at the end stages of your prep. The most important thing is to spend time understanding the stimulus and considering the answer choices.

• LetsHigh5LetsHigh5 Alum Member
    703 karma

You both pretty much summed up my thoughts, as well. Thanks again for the advice. I'm going to post another question that might interest you (see: "What is your favorite P.O.E./answering strategy for LR? Let's get a taxonomy going!", in the forum)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LetsHigh5 said:
    You both pretty much summed up my thoughts, as well. Thanks again for the advice. I'm going to post another question that might interest you (see: "What is your favorite P.O.E./answering strategy for LR? Let's get a taxonomy going!", in the forum)

Fav POE/answering strategy....

I don't think I have one, haha. If I had to choose, I guess it's using the valid forms to quickly eliminate answer choices on MBT/SA questions.