PT61.S4.Q24 - one is likely to feel comfortable

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Logical Reasoning 1723 karma

Can i get anyones take on this one, i dont really understand the argument, or the flaw

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-61-section-4-question-24/

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Edited title and added explanation link to match our guidelines.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thanks dillon

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited October 2017 3112 karma

Hello! This is a correlation/causation issue. They are saying that friendships usually begin when people feel comfortable approaching someone, which tends to happen when people are the same age as each other. But is this really true? I mean, let’s look at this in terms of causality. We have two conditions, one of which leads to another, that allegedly increase the likelihood of a third event happening. But if we consider these two as most relationships, given that they are only likely and not definitive, we know that it is fallacious to say that because A most B and B most C that A most C. In other words, just because something could happen, doesn’t mean that it is likely to happen.

A. The argument just doesn’t presume this. This is a mistaken reversal or sufficiency necessity flaw
    B. This is tricky but it is not right. This is actually a whole to part flaw and that isn’t happening here
    C. Yes, it overlooks this but it doesn’t matter. If this were the case, people wouldn’t make new friends
    D. No it doesn’t
    E. Totally wrecks the presumed chain and the underlying assumption that one is more likely to approach someone who is one’s age than otherwise. Maybe people just feel comfortable approaching others generally and there is just a spurious correlation between age and approaching others.

Hope this helps!