PT60.S1.Q13 - many economists claim that financial rewards

EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Logical Reasoning 224 karma

I understand why answer choice C is correct, but I can't seem to be able to rule answer choice B out. Can someone explain why answer choice B isn't the answer/ why answer choice C is better?

The way I see it answer choice B does significantly weaken the argument because it's showing that people are in fact motivated by money in their job choices, especially if they're identical in all other aspects.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-60-section-1-question-13

Comments

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    edited October 2017 391 karma

Oh, i remember this one. B is really tricky and a perfect (very cookie cutter type) trap laid out by LSAT writers. It is pretending to attack the premise but actually failing to do so. For me this was enough to scratch it and move on.

Answer choice B does not show that people are in fact motivated by money in their job choices. It just shows that they have a preference for higher paying job.

I find C as better because this answer choice shows that other financial rewards also matter. And very subtly cast doubt on the argument above by showing that there are other financial rewards that are not covered under “salary” and those rewards could matter and make economists right.

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

@"Mo Zubair" said:
    Oh, i remember this one. B is really tricky and a perfect (very cookie cutter type) trap laid out by LSAT writers. It is pretending to attack the premise but actually failing to do so. For me this was enough to scratch it and move on.

Answer choice B does not show that people are in fact motivated by money in their job choices. It just shows that they have a preference for higher paying job.

I find C as better because this answer choice shows that other financial rewards also matter. And very subtly cast doubt on the argument above by showing that there are other financial rewards that are not covered under “salary” and those rewards could matter and make economists right.

Ok, thanks! I reread B and you're right preferring a higher paying job isn't the same as being motivated by money.