PT17.S3.Q03 - patents and inventions

yeshesviniyeshesvini Member
edited November 2017 in Logical Reasoning 113 karma

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-17-section-3-question-03/

i am having a tough time getting my head around why answer choice b is not a good contender...

while i agree with ac d being correct...am unable to justify why ac b is incorrect.....

negation of b- implementing a technology sometimes requires more creative effort than does true invention....this would totally wreck the current argument which in current state is preferring to shield small time inventors from large entity implementers of technology....

am getting stuck so much today.....feel like my brain is all gone mush....

all help welcome!

arrrhhhhgghhh....

Comments

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

Answer choice B is irrelevant to the argument. "Less creative effort" & "intervention" are never discussed or mentioned in the argument and so are irrelevant and certainly not necessary.

Broken down the argument is this:

P1: The patent system originally designed to protect small-time inventors, not give large corporations control over a methodology
    +
    P2: Any comp program is the implementation of a methodology

-->
    The move to patent computer programs (thus giving large corps. control over a methodology) should be stopped

Because of this answer choice D is correct because if large corporations were able to hold patents for methodologies, then the argument would fall apart.

I hope that helps!

• yeshesviniyeshesvini Member
    113 karma

isn't it invention?? less creative effort in implementation of technology as compared with true invention.....i have read another reference online citing intervention....is there a typo in the qs on the link???

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

@yeshesvini said:
    isn't it invention?? less creative effort in implementation of technology as compared with true invention.....i have read another reference online citing intervention....is there a typo in the qs on the link???

Yes! So sorry that was a typo on my part, I meant "invention".

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@yeshesvini said:

(B) says "invention" (not "intervention").

(B): Implementing a methodology → less creative effort than does true invention
    Negation: Implementing a methodology ←s→ /(less creative effort than does true invention)
    = There are cases in which implementing a methodology does not use less creative effort than does true invention.
    = There are cases in which implementing a methodology uses more creative effort than does true invention or the same amount of creative effort as does true invention.

Why does comparing [methodology] and [true invention] matter? Even if [methodology] requires the same or more amount of creative effort than [true invention], the argument can still argue that the move to patent computer programs should be stopped. It's because the original intent of the patent system is to protect small-time investors, not to give large corporation control.

We have to assume that giving large corporations control is bad. That's what (D) says.

I think you are assuming that [creativity] has something to do with protecting small-time inventors. But the argument never says that.

113 karma

brilliant!! awesome thank uuu!!!

broke a sweat on this one....but awesome explanation cleared up the knot....

thanks heaps!!!

113 karma

brilliant!! awesome thank uuu!!!

broke a sweat on this one....but awesome explanation cleared up the knot....

thanks heaps!!!