Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is a "Why X" essay necessary when you're doing early decision for a school?

bobbutwith8charactersbobbutwith8characters Free Trial Member
edited November 2017 in Law School Admissions 89 karma

I just came across this bit from the Top Law Schools forum (http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing-effective-why-x-addendum.html):

"Second, if you're applying Early Decision, a Why X addendum is redundant. Applying ED tells them you are certain to go there if accepted, and with that already true, they probably do not care about your reason. In a sense, applying ED is the ultimate Why X essay, with an action that says more than a 500 word addendum ever could. If it's early enough, you're sure it's the school of your dreams, and your numbers aren't good enough to get scholarship money (early decision applicants rarely receive scholarships on admittance because they are bound to that specific school and don’t need extra incentives), you're better off applying ED than trying to write a Why X addendum."

I'm planning on submitting an application by November 10 for my early decision school, and was prepared to write a Why X essay. So I'm just wondering how true the above is. If it is true, I'd love to submit my app even earlier.