Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SA questions

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member

Hello fellow 7sagers,

I have been struggling with SA questions. I can't seem to translate the stimulus into the valid argument form. I can draw the connections once I have translated it correctly but I often struggle just to translate the ideas. I have the argument forms memorized but now it just comes to the translation of the stimulus.

I am writing in December.

Any tips?

Comments

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    edited November 2017 561 karma

Which PTs have you done? As you may or may not know, assumption questions have gone through a pretty big revamp in recent tests compared to the older ones. They're typically less mechanical/lawgic-based in new tests.

If you're struggling with these types of questions and you're doing older PTs, perhaps look at newer SA questions and see if you're any better going at it "intuitively." Even if you're not, it'd probably be better for you to invest your time in the newer ones than the older ones.

561 karma

Also, a short dirty guide to SA questions is to FIND THE CONCLUSION! If a new variable is brought into the conclusion, you should be going into hunt mode only looking at ACs that mention that new variable. Sometimes you get lucky and only one AC even mentions the new variable brought up in the conclusion. Either way, you'd be able to knock off a few ACs confidently for most SA questions this way.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@FerdaFresh said:
    Also, a short dirty guide to SA questions is to FIND THE CONCLUSION! If a new variable is brought into the conclusion, you should be going into hunt mode only looking at ACs that mention that new variable. Sometimes you get lucky and only one AC even mentions the new variable brought up in the conclusion. Either way, you'd be able to knock off a few ACs confidently for most SA questions this way.

I have done mostly older PTs so before PT 50 I would say. I am just recently starting to enter the 50s now but I have trouble on these questions whether I am doing BR or timed. Which tests would you say that they become less mechanical?

I haven't tried that method! So thank you! I will definitely be trying that approach. I have noticed on the explanations that JY was using that strategy only until I did a PT in the 50s.. but I failed to recognize that its common in the newer PTs.

561 karma

JY maps out a lot of mechanical explanations for questions. I don't want to speak for him, but I'd wager his method for doing these timed is a lot more organic and intuitive than his explanations are... but then again, he kind of has to explain them this way because he can't just make a 30 second explanation video saying "and this is right because I just know it is!"

I personally try to be organic about assumption questions on the first read through and, if necessary, start making mechanical mental notes based on indicator words on a second read through if I'm not getting the question. Assumption questions are hard... a great way of getting to the right answer if you're struggling is POE.

I can't tell you when this shift gets more noticeable... I've only done 36-58 plus a couple 70s and 82. I just know that the 70s and 82 have a different feel to them for NA and SA questions that actually works to my strengths in going at it organically/intuitively (almost like the way you would have hit the question before studying any LSAT prep, but with the subconscious backings of your LSAT prep to help you). Does that make sense? Either way, the December test is fast approaching... I'd make newer PTs a priority over older ones. Especially if you have Ultimate+

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

Yes that completely makes sense!

I will be looking at the newer tests now. I was struggling with these questions on the older PTs thinking I understood it and bombed the SA questions when doing a more recent PT for the week.

Thank you @FerdaFresh

I think you have saved me on two of my LSAT struggles today!