Motivation - fleeting but useful

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in General 13286 karma

Did you know that you are capable of achieving success? I hope so, because it's true. Each day is a grind but you need to keep the end goal in mind. Stumped by a hard problem? Disappointed with a PT score? Find yourself wishing it were all over? Take a minute and step back. Picture your dream, your goals, and your future. Suddenly the obstacle that is standing in your way will start to look more like a learning opportunity than a barrier. You can motivate yourself by seeing the bigger picture, which will allow you to continue working hard. Motivation may be a fleeting feeling, but when you use it to spark determination and grit, the effects will be longer lasting.

Picture motivation as a match. You strike it, and it stays light for a short while. But what is the true purpose of a match? It is used to ignite a much larger fire. One that lasts longer and does not burn out as easily. In this sense motivation is useful because it can ignite your passion, the real source of success.

https://i.imgur.com/8imJNrB.gif

When you take that moment to step back from a challenge, it allows you to gain perspective. A small break allows the feelings of anger, frustration and agitation to subside. Once those strong emotions have passed, you can come back at your issue with a level head. Then you can ask yourself, what went wrong. You can see each hurtle as a learning opportunity.

So when you miss a problem on the LSAT - step back and think about your goals. Then realize that the problem you missed is now an opportunity to grow. It's a chance to address an issue in your understanding of the test. It's in our weaknesses and short comings that improvement can be made. So we should celebrate our failures, because they will give us the ultimate gift, a chance to improve. Use the things that trip you up as a tool to motivate your passions. If you start to approach the LSAT in this way, you'll start to enjoy the test. You will constantly be moving forward and patching up holes in your understanding.

Don't let negative emotions dominate you! Remember, you are doing this for a reason. You have dreams and goals. Will you let one bad PT or one hard problem stop you?

You got this.

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thank you! Actually was pissed at an LG when I read this! Taking a step back is always helpful!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    Thank you! Actually was pissed at an LG when I read this! Taking a step back is always helpful!

Good! I promise you two things.

1.) The right answers are right for a reason.
    2.) After careful review, you will understand why and never fall for their trick again.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Very good comment: "So we should celebrate our failures, because they will give us the ultimate gift, a chance to improve." Maybe we could have a webinar on bouncing back after mistakes.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

You are so cool. Thank you : ). Finding it hard to get my mojo back - ugh. I love your posts. That pic was way cool too.

• Marco AntonioMarco Antonio Alum Member
    199 karma

Just took a two week break after a 3 month grind. Seeing stuff like this on the forums really helps me get back in the swing of things. Thanks a lot :)

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

That GIF is so satisfying

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

This is awesome! Sometimes it feels like I'm lighting a match in space. But this is truly inspiring.

13286 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    This is awesome! Sometimes it feels like I'm lighting a match in space. But this is truly inspiring.

ROFL this was the best response anyone could have had. I actually laughed out loud.

@FerdaFresh Right?! I thought so too.

@LCMama2017 Everyone finds motivation differently. I just want to help the few that can find it here!

@lsatplaylist Haha I looked to see if we had one. I couldn't find it. This might not be a bad idea!

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

@LSATcantwin Thanks so much for this! You the man!

13286 karma

@JayClarke242 said:
    @LSATcantwin Thanks so much for this! You the man!

Not a problem. I motivate myself by writing these. It's a win win win. haha

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 1866 karma

Great motivational post! I feel like we should a section just for posts like this!

It's important to put the test into perspective -- I know a lot of people see is as a roadblock preventing them from reaching their dreams, and while the test is undeniably a challenge, it's as you said a learning opportunity.
    For me, personally, this test has changed how I think, how I analyze the news, how I interpret what other people say, how I digest what I read, that if by some circumstance I end up not being able to attend law school, I've still benefited so much from studying for this exam.

Also want to add that the GIF is great...but is that a wood table?!?