Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study plan before the test: Not BR thoroughly?

Hey everyone!

I wanted to hear your advice regarding study plans for the last few days. Honestly, I feel I am a little burned out. I've been studying like crazy for the past 6 months (while working full time). I hit rock bottom about three weeks ago when I went from scoring 164 to 155 in a span of 1 week, and just got like crazy depressed. I've been working on chilling and slowing the pace lately, so that I don't feel burned out by the time of the test, and it has worked so far, I'm scoring once again around the161-163 range (my goal is a 165).

Now, what do you think about not blind reviewing as thoroughly in the next weeks? I feel I am no really going to grasp new concepts in such a short time. So I wanted to take as many PTs as I can instead, to get my mindset ready for the test. My schedule would look something like this: Wednesday full PT77; Friday half PT78; Saturday full PT82; Sunday Drilling LGs; Monday half PT 79 and Wednesday full PT 81. Thursday and Friday I would just chill.

This does not mean I wouldn't BR, but I would definitely do it more selectively. For instance, I'm stuck at -6/-7 on RC since I first started studying, so I wouldn't dedicate that much time to that section. As for LR, I would definitely not spend 20 to 25 minutes thinking about a tough question.

Do you think this is a good approach? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

I'm in a similar situation. I've been in the 160-163 range for about a month and my goal is 165 on Dec 2nd. I too have been feeling a little burnt out but I'd beware of battering yourself without analyzing your weak points. I think it would be like training in karate and right before a big fight with someone you've never faced before, having a familiar fight partner whose moves you know just wear you out.
    I think if you have a missed question that takes over 15-20 minutes to figure out, that is dangerous (and thus worth the time to figure out). But I could be spouting nonsense since I'm not consistently scoring within -5 on LR yet on my timed sections (my review is pretty quick though).

• Victor WuVictor Wu Alum Member
    661 karma

At this point, I don't think your objective should be to cram in as many PT's as possible. However you decide to study as you gear up towards the LSAT, I would highly encourage that you be careful to not burn out. Doing more PT's doesn't necessarily equate to increases in scores. I suggest you really focus on getting your physical, mental and emotional levels at peak capacity (but you probably knew that).

In short, go for really quality study rather than quantity.

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

Hey!! I don't recommend cramming as many PTs before the exam. I did that in September and was PTing high 150s and low 160s. On the actual thing tho, I was beyond burnt out and scored terrible. kinda confused too about what i should be doing till the exam tho. I just do not want to repeat last time.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah agreed with the others, this strategy sounds a little primed to burn you out and not make many gains. Taking full PTs really is just to practice endurance and be familiar with timing issues. But it sounds like you've probably already done that a bunch, so it may be pushing yourself more than is necessary. I'd maybe cut it back to less full PTs and more like 1-2 sections a day with review. If you have any trouble with LG, doing lots of individual games can still be helpful.

Good luck and just be sure not to tire yourself out too much!

• navacuenca92navacuenca92 Alum Member
    57 karma

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I will definitely tone it down. Good luck to all of those that are taking the test next week!