Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Question about re-taking - 7Sage Forum

Question about re-taking

RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
in General 142 karma

I’m taking the test in December but I’m planning to re-take in February if I don’t achieve a high enough score. (I’m really close to my goal but not consistent enough that I feel confident I’ll achieve it in December.) I’m planning on applying for next fall. My question is, if I don’t score high enough in December will I be rejected from schools based on that score or will they wait for my February score? Alternatively, could I be jeopardizing my chances of being admitted based on my December score if schools see I’m registered for February so they don’t consider me until then and spaces get filled?

If anyone knows how this works I would be grateful! Thanks :)

Comments

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    edited November 2017 325 karma

Hey there :) Most applications I've done/seen have had an option to explicitly state that you would like to hold your application until a certain test score or LOR comes in, so if you definitely want a certain school to hold your app until then, just tick the box or fill out the space provided for you to request that.

If you don't do that, many schools will go ahead and submit your app to the committee for review once all requirements are met. Of course, this will vary by school. I recently sent an application to a school that asked when I was registered to take the LSAT next, with no language on the application itself saying that they would be holding until that score was submitted. Even so, I looked at my status checker and saw that it was marked "incomplete pending december LSAT score," which I did not want. All I did was call and ask that the hold be removed and the school did it promptly. (Now, this could be the norm and I am certainly no expert, so someone chime in if this automatic hold is commonplace!) As far as the chances/timing situation, it's kind of a dance.

I'll give another example from my experience. I submitted to a target school super early for the benefit of rolling admissions with a GPA in the top 75th percentile and an LSAT around the median, so it's kind of a coin toss for me at this point. I do plan on taking the December LSAT, however. So if that school does not yet have a decision for me by the time December scores come out and I end up scoring better, I can submit a letter of continuing interest stating the new score for their consideration. If they have already rejected me before scores come out, then I obviously can't submit the new one. It's tough to answer these questions because it's all so school-dependent, but I do hope this helps in some way. You really just have to crunch your numbers and decide whether getting in early is worth it or if you really would rather wait until February. The safest bet, if you want to wait for a score, is to either put a hold on your app or just wait to submit. Sorry that was so long, but I hope it's helpful!

• RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
    142 karma

@"Maddie Distasio" thanks so much, that was really helpful! Just to be clear, is that option to place a hold on CAS? And more generally, are you happy that you decided to retake? I’m still a bit on the fence about my decision.

• PARHAM1373PARHAM1373 Free Trial Member
    67 karma

Canadian schools ask you to let them know which other tests you’re planning on taking and they have your lsac code so they just update as they get your scores. If you have a score they like i dont think they’ll wait and not reply because they see you’ve signed up for february too