Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about taking PTs versus drilling games

skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
edited February 2016 in Logic Games 137 karma
For mastering the logic games, from what I've gathered, it's suggested to do JY's method for each game by watching the videos and repeating the inferences on blank copies until a firm understanding of each game is reached. However, in doing so won't my scores be affected on my PTs leading up to the test because I will have already seen the games and know how to do them? I'm worried that on the one hand this wouldn't give me a good indication of where my score would really be than if I hadn't previously seen the games, but I'm also worried that if I wait to drill on those games until after I've taken the PTs to which they belong I won't have enough time since it will be closer to the test date at that point.

Hypothetically speaking, if I plan to take PTs 41- the most recently available one (giving me 30+ PTs), should I drill those games before taking the PTs or wait until I take them?

What's the suggested practice for approaching this? I'm definitely aiming for a near perfect score on the games section come June and just want to make sure that whatever prep I do is as effective as it can be.

Comments

• LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    How much time do you have?
    What score are you shooting for?
    Ideally you master games from PT1-PT36.

• Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Hi @skaplan9190, I don't recall JY saying that you should drill anything with un-taken PTs other than maybe the 1-36 that he uses in the course. I could have missed hearing that. I have heard of people drilling games that they struggled with during a PT. I would make copies of games that I struggled with during a PT and would practice those over several days until I felt like I completely mastered that particular game. For a while I collected games that I even missed one question on & would just do a pile of them as a drill every day until the process for each game felt automatic and I could quickly complete them without errors. I would suggest keeping your 41- to current to be able to have sufficient unseen PT's for your preparation for the actual exam.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Everyone above is right - you are supposed to use LG sections from PT 1-36 to drill using the FoolProof method before you start proper PTing. There can be some overlap, of course, especially if you find you have a good grasp on the games after a few weeks of drilling.
    After you start PTs you can use the foolproof method on the sections you've already done. Depending on how much of an issue LG is for you, you can do every section several times after you've done it as a PT (if you're having trouble with LG in general), or you can just repeat the games that gave you trouble until you feel you mastered them.
    Good luck!
  • skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
    137 karma
    Ok I guess I missed the part where it was just the sections from PT 1-36 so that helps clarify a lot. Thank you all for the input.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I believe J.Y. stated that the curriculum drills PTs 1-35, not 36. PT 36 would be your first test, taking under actual testing conditions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
    But, yes, you only use the fool proof method on PTs 1-35. Then you can use it on PTs 36+ AFTER you have already done the PT and blind reviewed it.
  • skaplan9190skaplan9190 Alum Member
    137 karma
    That's fine if it's 35 not 36, I was just going off what a previous commenter said.

I understand now that those are covered in the curriculum but since there are video explanations for each and every logic game on all available PTs that's why I was originally asking which ones to do vs. hold off on until after taking the whole PT. Good to know the strategy is to build the foundations with the first 35 then use that method if there are issues down the line after taking each PT. Thanks!