Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying With An Advanced Degree

jjmm1010jjmm1010 Alum Member

If you are on the edge when it comes to the median score, would it help if you already had an advanced degree (MBA for example)? I recently got into a few Master's programs for business and was going to wait to see how my December LSAT test score is before I make any decisions. However, would an applicant be better off applying to a top school with already a CPA and MBA. Seems like it probably wouldn't hurt...but not sure how much weight they would put on it. Have to weigh my options between getting the JD now, or waiting a few years while getting an MBA and completing the last two parts of the CPA exam- one year removed from college by the way.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I know that it's considered a soft factor. Grad school grades don't factor in to your LSAC GPA. It sounds like it's subjective for every school but probably not a huge boost.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

I have an MD with a significant career as an academic surgeon. I am being told by people in the know that are in admissions at a law school that it will not really help me to outperform the numbers. A 177 on LSAT would be way better. She said softs that let you outperform numbers are things like Rhodes, Olympic medals, Academy Awards.... things that they can promote on the covers of the alumni magazine. As she said, "there are 50,000 surgeons in the US and it is not all that special or unique."

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"Chipster Study" said:
    I have an MD with a significant career as an academic surgeon. I am being told by people in the know that are in admissions at a law school that it will not really help me to outperform the numbers. A 177 on LSAT would be way better. She said softs that let you outperform numbers are things like Rhodes, Olympic medals, Academy Awards.... things that they can promote on the covers of the alumni magazine. As she said, "there are 50,000 surgeons in the US and it is not all that special or unique."

Sounds similar to what I've heard. If you have identical numbers with another applicant and are on the cusp, it might favor you over another person without a degree. But not really a boost to make up for numbers.