Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying to Law school with online degree?

Tzvi___HTzvi___H Alum Member

I am getting my bachelors degree from a fully accredited online school (Excelsior college)

How much (if at all) will this hurt my application?

Comments

• Shawn NguyenShawn Nguyen Alum Member
    77 karma

On your resume, you don't have to say that your degree was specifically online, if I'm not mistaken, similar to how you diploma doesn't distinguish. Just that you attended said university and received your bachelors.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

If your diploma and your transcripts don't say, then I don't think it matters. It's almost like saying you attended the west side campus. Nobody cares that much to have it be on your resume. The curriculum should be the same if it's properly accredited. For my university, they had multiple campuses and online programs. I'd be glad to tell anyone my experience with online college and the difficulties involved in teaching yourself the subjects, but as far as my resume, this seems unnecessary.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Each school has its own admissions standards. It may be beneficial to contact the admissions offices of the schools on your school list, speak with an admissions counselor, and directly ask them how they would evaluate online degrees and if they would admit someone with an online undergraduate degree. (You may find more success at schools where your numbers are at or above the medians.)

Why would an admissions committee question an online degree? Because there may be a preference for students who are familiar with the classroom experience, rigorous verbal debate, and interactions with other academic colleagues as cases and issues are discussed. If you are applying to a school that is awash in applications with stronger stats, the school may decline to take the risk of admitting someone with an online undergraduate degree. However, depending on your circumstances, you can support your academic credentials in you application with a strong and positive LOR from an online professor who can speak to your other academic strengths. You can discuss your particular situation as it relates to your online degree in an academic addendum. For example, I have encountered military people who had to pursue an online degree because of their deployment overseas. Any admissions committee member can look up your college online and immediately see that it is an online degree. It could be good to address it directly. Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Agreeing with the above comments. If you haven't done this, maybe there's a way to speak by phone and/or video conference with professors regarding LORs? Is 100% of their program online? Was work maybe a reason for an online degree? More and more programs have online options, people in service programs abroad and/or military service enroll in them a lot, and some fields and programs have participated in online education for longer than others.