Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roadblock for LR comprehension..?

NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member

Hello everyone,

I am REALLY struggling with the level 5 difficulty Flaw questions. Even during the blind review I’m getting tripped up. I sent the question where more people got it wrong than those who got it right to a few friends of mine (one is an engineer studying for the patent bar and other is an ESL student)... They got it right on the fly... I feel like the core curriculum has shattered my intuitive side and I am not able to get it back...? Some of you might be familiar with the book by Dr. Kahnemann, “Thinking Fast and Slow”, and it talks about two systems in the way people think. One is the intuitive side that just instinctively does something and other is the slow, analytical and thorough side. I feel like I’m stuck on the side that is being “thorough”. Whenever I get to these questions, I can’t just do them “on the fly”. Can I get some perspective? Lol

Comments

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

You might wanna set a time limit. Look up "confidence drills"--that sounds like what you're looking for! If you set the timer for 45sec a question (or what have you) then you have to rely on your intuition

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Do you understand/know the different types of flaws? Having a solid understanding of them is immensely helpful. I know there is a list of them in the flaw portion of the curriculum that describes each flaw.

In addition, I'd recommend searching up the different flaws on the internet and see different examples of how they are used. It helped me a lot.

Finally, make sure you are focusing on the actual argument and not the context. I recently have had a lot of success on LR because it finally clicked for me on how to properly separate the argument from the context. The LSAT will purposely put AC's in that prey on you not being able to separate the two.

Hope this helps!

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

You guys are awesome I will do both.

620 karma

@kimmy_m66
    Eureka. Confidence drill is what I need.

620 karma

@akeegs92 YES! I am able to get through these faster now because I reviewed the types. This is saving me so much more time than parsing out the stimulus.

Why are people here so awesome

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@BrianSeo Awesome! Glad we were able to help!