Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice from a 170+ scorer

Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
in General 645 karma

Hi Everybody,

I first took the LSAT in 2016 and scored a 169. I tried again in September 2017 and scored above 170.

Here are a few things I would like to share

1) care for your mind and body. On test day, to perform well, you should be rested, well hydrated, and well fed. This isn't something you can do last minute. You need to be eating, drinking, and sleeping for several days (or weeks) prior to the test. If you can't fall asleep, then lay there and rest :)

2) In practice tests, we try to understand every answer choice. But on test day, you just need the correct answers. So if you have a good rationale for A being right, but you can't eliminate C, then pick A and move on. You don't have time to dissect C. Same thing in logic games: you do not need to eliminate all the wrong answers. Scan first for obviously correct or obviously wrong choices (just like JY in his videos) -- don't mindlessly plug and chug A, B, C, etc.

3) I know this test can get boring and tiring, but scoring highly requires a certain degree of engagement with the test material

Best of luck to everyone.

Comments

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    640 karma

Thank you very much for your advice! Congratulations on the amazing score!!

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma

@LSATlife said:
    Thank you very much for your advice! Congratulations on the amazing score!!

Thanks!

I actually have one more thing to add: I stopped thinking negatively about my performance. Instead of saying "Damn, I went -5 on RC" I started thinking "Wow, I went +22 on RC!"

Why does this help me? By making me less nervous. If you take the "minus" approach, then every new question is a chance for a mistake. With the "plus" approach, I think: "Ok, this question can't possibly reduce my score. It's an opportunity for another point"

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Simple yet powerful,no nonsense advice. Love it. Thanks!