Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to nicely ask for a recommendation letter?

olioliberolioliber Alum Member
in General 729 karma

I graduated 2 years ago and need a rec letter from my law psychology professor. I got an A and this class strengthened my decision to study law. However, I never went to office hours, or talked to the professor. Also, it's been 2 years. I need to send him an email, but I'm starring at a blank page. Please help? What should I say?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@oberdysz

Send an email politely re-introducing yourself and set up a time to talk with him about your LOR. You'll want to build a bit of rapport back up, as well as have a chance to talk a bit before you ask. You'll want to explain to them why law school and have your resume and maybe a writing sample from your class with them. Something to show them you did well in their class...

If you can, schedule a time for a phone call or to attend their office hours.

I know it's stressful, but don't worry too much. Professors usually write tons of LORs for various students going to grad school.

Good luck!

• NorthernAtticusNorthernAtticus Alum Member
    edited November 2019 79 karma

[deleted]

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

@"alaric.taves" said:
    I was in exactly this position a month ago (right down to the psychology professor!). I was really worried about coming off as presumptuous or annoying, particularly because the class was so long ago and I didn't really have a strong relationship with the professor.

I just sent a polite email re-introducing myself, explaining that I was in the process of applying for law school. I reminded him of my grade and talked about specific aspects of the class I enjoyed - it was a 'psychology and the law class', so I tied this into my law school application - before requesting a strong reference letter, if he felt he could provide it. Of course my worrying was for nothing, and he responded right away saying that he remembered me, and that he would be happy to write the letter. Just remember that this is literally part of a professor's job, and most of them want to help you succeed anyway.

Thank you!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I understand from having been there. Make the email short and sweet and attach or paste an updated resume. You did well in the class, and they'll likely be happy you contacted them. Like Alex was talking about, it might help to mention whatever things in the course had major point values (ex: you got an A on a paper on X topic) and your favorite units. Also mention some of the schools you're considering. And tell them it's generally one letter for all the schools as this is something that I think has changed from the past. After you've sent the email, relax for real. A bit like being nervous before a proposal, maybe. :)