PT82.S4.Q23 - inventor: all highly successful entrepreneurs

TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
edited December 2017 in September 2017 LSAT 137 karma

This MBT question really threw me for a loop because of the bi-conditional. In this particular question I think it is the "unique, whenever" that indicates that it is a bi-conditional. I am aware of these 4 indicators from the core curriculum:

• (either) or, but not both
    -if and/but only if
    -...but otherwise
    -....except

But since this question didn't utilize any of these,-- I am now wondering if there are any other bi-conditional indicators not listed here? Also, does anyone know of other logical reasoning questions that use bi-conditionals?

Thanks so much!

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-82-section-4-question-23/

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2017 10774 karma

I do not know about any other bi-conditinal indicators not listed but I remember one thing that helped me get this question right was to just understand what the stimulus is saying. For example when it says later on "all other People" -you have to ask yourself "other people to what"?. In this case this is saying -all other people that are not highly successful entrepreneurs. So we know when highly successful people see a solution they implement it. And other people "not highly successful entrepreneurs" do not always implement it. This helps us divide our groups neatly in two.

HS ---> always implement solutions
    /HS ---> / always implement solutions
    ^These two conditional statements indicate a bi-conditional relationship.

Just making sure that we understand what the referential phrasing is actually saying can help us more clearly see the bi-conditional relationship in this stimulus. I think instead of using indicators like other LSAT stimulus do, this stimulus is an innovative way that LSAT writers are seeing if people can spot a bi-conditional relationship.

Let me know if that helped. I know JY uses the word "unique" to spot it, which is another way of seeing it. For me it was the referential phrasing of "all other people" and just asking myself what that means that helped me see it clearly what it meant.

Also, I think this questions is very complicated and the bi-conditional relationship is hard to see on the first read. This question is better missed than attempted on the real test unless you have all the easier questions done.