Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conditional rule

hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
in Logic Games 342 karma

Can "F is hired for a position in a different department from G" translate to F->/G? or Does it have to be F<->/G?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Try and think about it as simply as possible.

“F is hired for a different department than G.”

Doesn’t that mean that F and G can’t be in the same department as each other?

If so F->/G and G->/F

We just want to make sure they aren’t in the same department! Sometimes it helps to just keep it simple and try and think about what it is saying. I hope this helps.

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 99 karma

I would say it is the first, unless you are looking at an In/Out game where both must be on the board. The second would imply that anytime that G isn't hired in a department, F must be. That is stronger than what the statement says.

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    edited December 2017 342 karma

@zmeeker91 said:
    I would say it is the first, unless you are looking at an In/Out game where both F and G have to be selected. The second would imply that anytime that G isn't hired in a department, F must be. That is stronger than what the statement says.

@LSATcantwin said:

If so F->/G and G->/F

We just want to make sure they aren’t in the same department! Sometimes it helps to just keep it simple and try and think about what it is saying. I hope this helps.

Thank you @zmeeker91 and @LSATcantwin for helping organize my thoughts!
    I was suddenly confused in this specific grouping game (that has three groups) in which JY translated "F is hired for a position in a different department from G" as /[FG]. This made me wonder if it is okay to use A->/B and A<->/B interchangeably, which I highly doubted. I guess that was allowed in that specific incident, but not always! (PT38.S2.G3 that was if you are curious!) Thank you both again! <3 <3

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@d931n027h said:

@zmeeker91 said:
    I would say it is the first, unless you are looking at an In/Out game where both F and G have to be selected. The second would imply that anytime that G isn't hired in a department, F must be. That is stronger than what the statement says.

@LSATcantwin said:

If so F->/G and G->/F

Thank you @zmeeker91 and @LSATcantwin for helping organize my thoughts!
    I was suddenly confused in this specific grouping game (that has three groups) in which JY translated "F is hired for a position in a different department from G" as /[FG]. This made me wonder if it is okay to use A->/B and A<->/B interchangeably, which I highly doubted. I guess that was allowed in that specific incident, but not always! (PT38.S2.G3 that was if you are curious!) Thank you both again! <3 <3

How you represent rules depends on the kind of games you are dealing with.

PT38.S2.G3 is a grouping game with three groups. So if you want to represent the rule as a conditional rule, I think it should be represented as F --> /G (If F is in management, G has to be in other groups...etc) in this case because F <---> /G implies that either F or G has to be in each group. But it is confusing to remember this. This is why J.Y. represents the rule as /[FG].

9377 karma

As @zmeeker91 says, if you are looking at In/Out game where there are two groups (for example, there are management and production only; management: IN group, production: OUT group), you should represent it as F <---> /G because representing as F ---> /G allows you put F and G both in the OUT group (production) when the original rule doesn't allow it to happen.

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

@akistotle Thank you! :) <3 <3 <3

9377 karma

@d931n027h said:
    @akistotle Thank you! :) <3 <3 <3

I recommend that you look into this thread because I think you had the same confusion:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/14156/confusing-bi-conditional-vs-not-both-in-lg