So now what...lol

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 13286 karma

So I did it! I got a great LSAT score. And now I am completely lost on what to do.

Before I got my Dec score back I had a planned list of schools I was going to apply to and I had a decent personal statement written out. Now with this higher score I'm having to adjust the schools I am applying to and I feel like my personal statement needs to be completely re-done. I'm also a super splitter with some amazing softs but I'm not sure which schools will even consider that. Part of me wants to blanket the T-14 schools with applications and hope for the best. Another part of me wants to be more surgical with my applications and target schools that are more friendly to my situation.

Basically, without the LSAT, I am now completely lost...

Any suggestions?

Stats:

LSAT: 171
cGPA: 2.8
Degree GPA: 4.0 (64 units straight)

Non-traditional with a 5 year gap between bad grades and 4.0.

Softs: Marine Corps, Working for a higher level court for a year, Internship at a state court for a year and a couple more.

What would you do? What do I do? I am feeling pretty lost.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

If you have the money/waivers, blanket all the schools you want to attend. You have great softs and a great LSAT. When you're in a situation like yours, I think it's worth the time and money to blanket a ton of schools since you're likely to have an unpredictable cycle. Even if you have to pay out of pocket, I'd rather do that than spend the rest of my life wondering* "what if?"

Many people with your stats get amazing scholarships to schools like WUSTL in the T20, as well as T13 schools like NU and UVA, both which value WE and are splitter-friendly.

Congrats on the great score and a wonderful future :)

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2017 13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    If you have the money/waivers, blanket all the schools you want to attend. You have great softs and a great LSAT. When you're in a situation like yours, I think it's worth the time and money to blanket a ton of schools since you're likely to have an unpredictable cycle. Even if you have to pay out of pocket, I'd rather do that than spend the rest of my life wonder "what if?"

Many people with your stats get amazing scholarships to schools like WUSTL in the T20, as well as T13 schools like NU and UVA, both which value WE and are splitter-friendly.

Congrats on the great score and a wonderful future :)

I'll pay the App fee's haha. I agree, it seems worth it because it'll be so unpredictable. For some reason every time I start an app I feel lost though. I also get this feeling that none of my writing is good enough. I may have to consider a consultant or something...

And thank you! You have been a HUGE help to me along this path!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    edited December 2017 1269 karma

I would drink tonight and tomorrow, and then follow @"Alex Divine" 's advice--A.c.S

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited December 2017 9372 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" @"J.Y. Ping" @"Alan Cheuk"

We have a new Sage! Please force him to do a webinar!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    If you have the money/waivers, blanket all the schools you want to attend. You have great softs and a great LSAT. When you're in a situation like yours, I think it's worth the time and money to blanket a ton of schools since you're likely to have an unpredictable cycle. Even if you have to pay out of pocket, I'd rather do that than spend the rest of my life wonder "what if?"

Congrats on the great score and a wonderful future

I'll pay the App fee's haha. I agree, it seems worth it because it'll be so unpredictable. For some reason every time I start an app I feel lost though. I also get this feeling that none of my writing is good enough. I may have to consider a consultant or something...

And thank you! You have been a HUGE help to me along this path!

Yeah, with those stats/softs, you'll definitely get some T13 admissions for sure. No doubt about it!
    You'll also have tons of other options that include lots of $$$ :)

I think we all feel like our writing isn't good enough. Tell your story and make sure it'e well-written and you'll be good.

'Grats again, brother.

p.s. looking forward to the webinar/Q&A

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Hahahaha!!!

On another note I am so overwhelmingly happy for you and your score. You worked so hard kudos to you!

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma

Changing your school list? Makes sense. You can try the T14 as a splitter.

Changing personal statement? I'm not sure how much your personality, goals, and experiences have changed as a result of the score.

If I were you, I'd be looking to get the new applications out the door, not rewriting a PS that I was already happy with.

13286 karma

@"Stevie C" said:

Changing personal statement? I'm not sure how much your personality, goals, and experiences have changed as a result of the score.

If I were you, I'd be looking to get the new applications out the door, not rewriting a PS that I was already happy with.

I think it’s because my PS was done haphazardly. I didn’t put the effort into it that I should have. So I feel like it’s crap :/

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Stevie C" said:

I think it’s because my PS was done haphazardly. I didn’t put the effort into it that I should have. So I feel like it’s crap :/

I work in college admissions and wouldn't mind doing a free pass on your personal statement. PM me and I can send you my email address. :)

If your main goal is to get in the highest-ranked possible school, then I'd follow Alex's great advice and blanket those top schools (though may or may not have to pay a lot to attend).

But if you have an idea of what you want to study and maybe want to go for some sweet scholarships, then I'd be a little more specific with applying to schools that have programs in your interest (to quickly, efficiently figure this out: look at a school's list of concentrations, clinics, and centers to see what they care about) that are maybe in the top 20. Having a more specific list will also mean you can dedicate your limited energy/time to those schools you are authentically excited about. :)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I really agree with Alex. Splitter cycles are always unpredictable, and I think yours will be too. If you want to be super realistic, the very top of the T14 are not super likely to happen. But yes, UVA and Northwestern are probably the most likely. WUSTL seems like a super good option too. I think probably the best approach is what Alex said, apply wherever you would want to go! HYS are unlikely, but if you do have the money and want to try, it’s not unreasonable to take a shot. You never know who will be receptive to a good story and strong softs.

I’m thinking you are far underestimating your PS, but I totally understand second-guessing yourself.

Congrats again on your awesome score!!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

@"Leah M B" is dead-on from what I've seen, but (again) you should try if you're lucky enough to have the money to burn. But you should hit other places to get a holistic picture of your prospects.

And I would think that you should be able to write a compelling PS on any number of things.--A.c.S

13286 karma

@tringo335 Thank you! It was a long journey for sure. I'm still not even quite sure I believe it happened...

@"nicolas.saw" Hey that's awesome thank you! I actually have a veterans program that will read and edit my PS for free. It's done by vet's in law school! I appreciate it though.

@"Leah M B" I think that's the best bet. I will blanket the T-14 minus some schools I really don't want to go to. I wrote a new PS! I liked the old one but it just didn't feel right.

@acsimon I'm going to give HYS a shot. I started saving for apps about a year ago and have enough to blanket quite a few schools. Worse that will happen is I don't buy some video games for awhile and I get a "no" from those schools right? I would kick myself forever if I didn't try though...

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LSATcantwin
    I'm not sure if you were planning on it or not, but I would definitely recommend applying to WUSTL. They are willing to throw scholarships out there for high LSAT scores. Regardless of whether you wind up going there or cracking the Top 14, it is good as a splitter to be able to negotiate based on the premise that your application deserves scholarship money.

I'm a mild splitter and it feels like a huge relief to know I have a full tuition offer from WUSTL to negotiate with Top 14 schools with. Now no one in the Top 14 is just going to match WUSTL's generosity, but they may give you something in response.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Your resume sounds awesome, and you have a very high LSAT. What's the story about the GPA? Were there extenuating factors? They often place more emphasis on the junior and senior coursework.

13286 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Your resume sounds awesome, and you have a very high LSAT. What's the story about the GPA? Were there extenuating factors? They often place more emphasis on the junior and senior coursework.

No I was pushed to start college right after high school. The honest to god truth is I hated school and only wanted to play World of Warcraft. I failed and dropped classed from 2007 until 2010. I realized I was living a sucky life and joined the Marine Corps. After I separated from the Marines in 2014 I went back to school and got straight A’s for two years. My cumulative just paid the price for my immature, unready, young foolishness

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    @LSATcantwin
    I'm not sure if you were planning on it or not, but I would definitely recommend applying to WUSTL. They are willing to throw scholarships out there for high LSAT scores. Regardless of whether you wind up going there or cracking the Top 14, it is good as a splitter to be able to negotiate based on the premise that your application deserves scholarship money.

I'm a mild splitter and it feels like a huge relief to know I have a full tuition offer from WUSTL to negotiate with Top 14 schools with. Now no one in the Top 14 is just going to match WUSTL's generosity, but they may give you something in response.

This is very helpful advice!! Thanks. I'm filling out my app for wustl right now!

I actually visited for undergrad but decided to stay closer to home (michigan) but it's a great school in a nice location! I'm aiming for t14, hopefully t6, but scholarship negotiation is weighing heavy on my mind since Dec 22!!!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I see. This is understandable--just explain you're wiser and more motivated now.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@lsatplaylist said:

No I was pushed to start college right after high school. The honest to god truth is I hated school and only wanted to play World of Warcraft. I failed and dropped classed from 2007 until 2010. I realized I was living a sucky life and joined the Marine Corps. After I separated from the Marines in 2014 I went back to school and got straight A’s for two years. My cumulative just paid the price for my immature, unready, young foolishness

I'm right there with you on being just too young and immature for university. I'm rooting for you and will watch what happens since I'll be a splitter too. Nicole Hopkins if I remember correctly had a 2.8 GPA and got a 175. She's in Northwestern, so just go for it.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited December 2017 9372 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@lsatplaylist said:

I'm right there with you on being just too young and immature for university. I'm rooting for you and will watch what happens since I'll be a splitter too. Nicole Hopkins if I remember correctly had a 2.8 GPA and got a 175. She's in Northwestern, so just go for it.

I think Nicole got in with a 170 from the Feb LSAT, applied right before the deadline, and got accepted in March. I think she used the Feb LSAT for the application for the class entering the same year. I wasn’t around when all of this happened, so I think @"Alex Divine" knows her story better than I do.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@lsatplaylist said:

I think Nicole got in with a 170 from the Feb LSAT, applied right before the deadline, and got accepted in March. I think she used the Feb LSAT for the application for the class entering the same year. I wasn’t around when all of this happened, so I think @"Alex Divine" knows her story better than I do.

Yup! This is correct -- Feb LSAT ---> NU acceptance in March.