Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on Next Steps

hrafiqhrafiq Alum Member
in General 24 karma

Hi all -

Need to get some thoughts on whether I should apply this cycle. Scored a 162, although I was PTing higher. I had to rush the study to make it this cycle since I had extended my Fulbright year to finish up some research. I have a 3.82 GPA and would prefer schools in the T-14 although I know my score is low for that. I'm thinking I might still have a chance because of some of my softs & I am working a consulting firm at the moment.

Should I retake & sit out this cycle or at least try applying? Might just pick a select group of schools. Was even thinking going ED for UPenn.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I vote retake :-)

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

It sounds like you should retake. In all honesty, softs aren't going to make admissions look at your LSAT like it's a 168. You have a great GPA--work hard to get the LSAT there as well!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I vote apply now and retake in February (if your budget allows)

If it doesn’t work out, you can apply in the next cycle!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

You have an awesome GPA and a nice soft with the Fulbright. If you want T14 you'll need to retake. With a high enough score you have great chances at every T14.

Imagine how high you can score this time around if you put 100% effort in?

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

absolute retake

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Retake. Don't let that GPA go to waste.

• michael_theodoremichael_theodore Alum Member
    253 karma

Excellent GPA combined with excellent softs with a higher LSAT score could make your application competitive. I think you should take the February LSAT.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

retake

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think you'll be happier down the road if you make another attempt.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27858 karma

Retake. You've set yourself up for success with a strong GPA and solid softs. Why do all that only to settle for an LSAT that you've describe as rushed? No way. Studying for the LSAT and applying for law school is a much bigger undertaking than anyone realizes starting out, so your situation is a very common one. Take another year and do it right.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yep, echoing all the above. With your background and GPA, a 168+ would make you very competitive for T14. If you could crack 170, you’d be all set. A 162 is very unlikely to get you into a T14, even with really impressive softs. You could apply now if you really want to try, but you’d have a lot better outlook if you take the time to study more and can boost that LSAT score.

• Mick SummersMick Summers Free Trial Member
    3 karma

Just to put it in a different light, with your GPA, you are leaving potentially tens of thousands on the table in terms of scholarship money with a 162. You have proven you’re not lazy (i.e. Fulbright), apply yourself, retake, and reap the reward.

Good luck!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

YSH like to take Fulbright scholars. The only thing holding you back from those schools is your LSAT score.

• hrafiqhrafiq Alum Member
    24 karma

thanks all! appreciate the insight! sort of knew that was where i was headed so the affirmation really helps :)

@michael_theodore @akistotle - is the push towards February just to try to get in this cycle? not sure i should rush it if i don't think this cycle looks good anyways. thoughts?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@hrafiq said:
    thanks all! appreciate the insight! sort of knew that was where i was headed so the affirmation really helps :)

@michael_theodore @akistotle - is the push towards February just to try to get in this cycle? not sure i should rush it if i don't think this cycle looks good anyways. thoughts?

Yea, if you want to apply this cycle, you should apply now and retake in February.

If you can take another year, then you should postpone a cycle.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4423 karma

If your fairly impressive soft, a Fullbright, was enough to get you into Penn with a 162 and 3.8 (which is unlikely) then imagine where it could get you and with what scholarship with an LSAT score in the 170s.

If you missed any on games you didn't study enough. With 7sages foolproofing method perfection on logic games is just hours of studying away( hundereds of hours maybe low thousands, but it is in reach).

The other sections can be a bit more dicey to improve(especially RC), but people do it every cycle.

Wait a cycle and study right.

• michael_theodoremichael_theodore Alum Member
    253 karma

@hrafiq For this admissions cycle.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I would shoot for a retake in June, if you rushed your study the first time, you probably still have quite a bit to learn and improve to reach your full potential. Rushing to take in February will probably result in a minor bump, if any. Plus youll waste PTs and time and money.
    I would mentally commit to June, make a study plan for the next 5 months and stick to it and apply to take in 2019 with a 174 strong gpa and softs!!!