Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blank Answers vs. Guesses

quinn.e.conradquinn.e.conrad Alum Member
in General 10 karma

Hi! So I'm gonna throw it way back to tests like the SAT, ACT and other standardized tests where I was taught the method to just guess if we didn't know it because there is a small penalty for wrong answers. Is this the same thing I should be doing for the LSAT? If I am running out of time and still have questions unanswered, is it better to leave them blank or at least put some sort of answer down?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2017 13286 karma

Answer! There is no penalty for wrong answers, and a potential to guess one right!

But you really should study until you complete each section on time :) you can do it!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

As @LSATcantwin says, there's no penalty. So fill in the blanks as much as possible!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yep, always guess! No penalty for wrong answers, always better to have something than nothing.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

Always choose one letter to always fill in as your "go-to guess answer choice"

Mine is (B)

But yeah, like others have already stated, no penalty = always guess.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Guess! In the Powerscore LR book, he actually has a whole section about guessing. Apparently, D is the most popular answer for #1-19, and then E for #20-26, so keep that in mind when guessing :wink:

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4196 karma

always guess at least. don't leave anything blank!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

On the test guess. When taking PTs, don't guess.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    edited December 2017 2573 karma

@"quinn.e.conrad" as everyone else said, guess! There is no penalty and it might slightly increase your chances of misbubbling if you leave questions blank. Just guess and circle that question so that you can come back if you have time. If the question is at the end of the section or you’re running isn’t if time then it really doesn’t matter but you could gain a point or two from just guessing so always fill in every bubble.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Always guess. It is best to just pick a letter and guess blindly for any you don't get to. Pick a letter(mine was D because I read some variant of the thing @kimmy_m66 referenced). I'm not sure it really matters or that D is the credited response statistically significantly more often than other choices, but it was D or pick a letter to blindly guess every time for no reason at all so I went with the supposedly most common one.

However, if you spend any time on the question at all, see if you can elliminate a few options before your guess even if you can't get to the right answer. This probably is obvious, but don't guess D(read your letter of choice) just because you are guessing if you know D isn't the right answer.

Also guess during PTs too. You don't want to do anything too different on your PTs since it would be a shame if on the real test you didn't bubble in your guesses because you hadn't practiced leaving the needed time to do it.