Stanford Optional question #2...music

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage

So I have finished both of my Stanford optional essays, but I've been thinking about changing one of the songs I picked. The original one I picked is pretty cliche and while it sends the message I want it to, I will bet they have had the same song submitted hundreds of times before.

I was thinking of new songs to switch it to but once again I am struggling. My primary choice of music I can almost guarantee the admissions committee does not listen to. (It might even scare them...I'll never understand why.) Music is all about interpretation and I have gained countless amounts of inspiration and motivation from some of the hardest metal songs.

So this is along the same lines as my question yesterday, but it is much less clear.

Do I stick to softball music that everyone can appreciate? Or do I show them who I am and send some hard metal Stanfords way? haha

(These questions are actually quite fun, and I am enjoying them!!)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think like the character question, it largely comes down to which one will allow you to write the strongest essay. Being cliche isn't always a bad thing but standing out (in a good way) is a great way to outperform your numbers at schools like S.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I think like the character question, it largely comes down to which one will allow you to write the strongest essay. Being cliche isn't always a bad thing but standing out (in a good way) is a great way to outperform your numbers at schools like S.

What if the song has vulgar language? Like drops the F bomb? I'd say it is safe to avoid these right?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

What if the song has vulgar language? Like drops the F bomb? I'd say it is safe to avoid these right?

Do you have to put the vulgar language in?

13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Do you have to put the vulgar language in?

Hmm that's true. I was more worried they might actually google it on their phone or something ;D

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hahah. Oh man. This is a weird comment, but let's just say that my work has brought me into contact with the metal world and it is interesting haha. I've learned to appreciate metal over the years, but still not my cup of tea. I get too stressed out feeling like someone is yelling at me, I can only handle it in short doses haha.

Anyway, this is a bit of a tougher choice. I feel like I wouldn't be too worried about an explicit rating, but overall content maybe a little? Like excessive violent imagery or depending on the context of the swearing. Some f bombs are more vulgar than others, IMO. If they googled the song and clicked on lyrics, how offensive are we talking? It's very subjective of course. Like if it's a song talking about beating a woman, I'd be more concerned about that than one that just drops an f bomb or 2 ya know? And only one of those would get an explicit rating.

I feel like I would go for it because metal would make you stand out more. But if you could choose the most above-board one content-wise, that might be helpful. If you want to give specifics, you could let us know what song(s) and I could google and give a more specific opinion hah.

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Hahah. Oh man. This is a weird comment, but let's just say that my work has brought me into contact with the metal world and it is interesting haha. I've learned to appreciate metal over the years, but still not my cup of tea. I get too stressed out feeling like someone is yelling at me, I can only handle it in short doses haha.

Anyway, this is a bit of a tougher choice. I feel like I wouldn't be too worried about an explicit rating, but overall content maybe a little? Like excessive violent imagery or depending on the context of the swearing. Some f bombs are more vulgar than others, IMO. If they googled the song and clicked on lyrics, how offensive are we talking? It's very subjective of course. Like if it's a song talking about beating a woman, I'd be more concerned about that than one that just drops an f bomb or 2 ya know? And only one of those would get an explicit rating.

I feel like I would go for it because metal would make you stand out more. But if you could choose the most above-board one content-wise, that might be helpful. If you want to give specifics, you could let us know what song(s) and I could google and give a more specific opinion hah.

That’s the thing! I know metal/hard rock songs that have lyrics that are about love. Then the music video is people getting killed lol

I might air on the side of caution here. It is too easy to google and get the wrong message.

Look up the song “Follow you - bring me The Horizon”

The music video is intense and the song is happy and not even slightly vulgar lol

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Dude, imagine all the people putting Kendrick or Childish or Kanye. Or hell, if they were to put Hamilton, even that drops the f bomb one or two times. Like, I wouldn't put down "F*ck Donald Trump" (but like... I feel) but I think you're fine with some language.

Adcomms all are people too, and may be younger than we think (remember Aisha from Yale? She's legit like 39 lmao). So who knows, one of them might be massive metal fans. And if they aren't, they're not judging you for your music taste but for how you're able to convey your thoughts and who you are. Put down the metal if that's what you're going to write the best! :smile:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:

That’s the thing! I know metal/hard rock songs that have lyrics that are about love. Then the music video is people getting killed lol

I might air on the side of caution here. It is too easy to google and get the wrong message.

Look up the song “Follow you - bring me The Horizon”

The music video is intense and the song is happy and not even slightly vulgar lol

Oh gosh hahahahahaha. I see what you're saying now. Yeah obviously, lyrics are great. That video is a bit much though. Man, that's a tough call. I feel like you'd be ok since the actual song lyrics are totally fine. I don't know that they're really going to look up the music videos for everyone who writes this essay, ya know? But that's a tough call.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Dude, imagine all the people putting Kendrick or Childish or Kanye. Or hell, if they were to put Hamilton, even that drops the f bomb one or two times. Like, I wouldn't put down "F*ck Donald Trump" (but like... I feel) but I think you're fine with some language.

Adcomms all are people too, and may be younger than we think (remember Aisha from Yale? She's legit like 39 lmao). So who knows, one of them might be massive metal fans. And if they aren't, they're not judging you for your music taste but for how you're able to convey your thoughts and who you are. Put down the metal if that's what you're going to write the best! :smile:

Hahaha! I just pictured this and almost spit out my drink lmao!