Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I write a GPA Addendum

Hey guys,
I'm wondering if I should write a GPA addendum for UT. They're kinda a long shot (below 25th LSAT). Their application says to explain if your academic performance for one or more semesters was markedly different from that of other semesters.
The thing is I don't have a valid excuse other than it was my first year of college and I took all my hard sciences and maths that year.
I ended up with a 2.81 that year but graduated with a 3.79. I don't know how it would look if I don't have a good reason.
Would it hurt to write one?

Comments

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I really don't think it's going to hurt you as long as you don't try to make up excuses that aren't valid.

I'm in a similar position, 2.9 GPA first semester, graduated with a 3.6. I ended up writing an addendum, mainly said my first semester was a wake up call, I had to work a lot harder than I had in high school. I think it helps to take ownership and say how you learned and grew from naivety.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@"mark mccumber" said:
    Hey guys,
    I'm wondering if I should write a GPA addendum for UT. They're kinda a long shot (below 25th LSAT). Their application says to explain if your academic performance for one or more semesters was markedly different from that of other semesters.
    The thing is I don't have a valid excuse other than it was my first year of college and I took all my hard sciences and maths that year.
    I ended up with a 2.81 that year but graduated with a 3.79. I don't know how it would look if I don't have a good reason.
    Would it hurt to write one?

It sounds like you have a good reason to write one. Just explain that it took some time for you to adjust and get your bearings. It's not uncommon for freshman to have a low GPA their first semester. Highlight your upward grade trend. Either way, it's not a big deal since your LSAC calculated GPA is all admissions really cares about.