Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why law? What's your story?

2»

Comments

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

@lsatplaylist IDK if it's awesome or crazy but here I am :smiley: I am currently reading Elizabeth Warren's This Fight is Our Fight which is fantastic, inspiring and infuriating. I have friends that are PD's that are my main source of inspiration (one of whom is married to Bryan Stevenson's Deputy Director!)... what about you re: inspirational books - any reco's?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@jyarmo, I saw her book recently and kind of want to start with the first one she wrote. Did you read the other two?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

This thread kinda blew up right after I started it and I realize I never gave my answer haha.

For me, law has always been appealing and seemed like a fit for my strengths. I've always loved reading and language (strongly considered being an English teacher), and am a pretty rational, logical person. And now, especially in the past 5-6 years or so, I came to really see how much the law affects so many aspects of our lives. It protects inventions and creators, it keeps abusive employers in check, it makes sure you have access to healthcare, it keeps general order in our society. And that's all fascinating to me and I would really like a career in something that has such practical importance. I also love that there are so many different career paths and opportunities in law. It's a skill that can be donated, you can teach, you can be an executive, you can be a litigator. It's even possible to create a job for yourself, on your own terms. I think there will always be a need for lawyers in one way or another, and it's a really appealing way to ensure there is always some career option open for you.

I'm personally interested in pursuing a career in government, and maybe someday working on crafting policy. But, I'm also a little older and have learned enough to know that often, we don't always know what we want or is best for us. So I'm open to what I may learn in law school and whatever path that takes me down. But I think law in general is a really solid track to be on.

350 karma

@"Leah M B" I really love how you said law was a good fit for your strengths. This is true for me too but I never felt that clear about it until I read it in your post. Also being (way) older - I totally agree that age has given me the understanding that we may not know what we want or is best just yet. Most people I know fell into careers they love by continuing to be honest with themselves, working hard and staying open to opportunities in front of them. Good luck :)

8392 karma

@jyarmo It's so cliche but true that the older you get, the less you know. :) I'm so grateful for that! I'm a much wiser, more thoughtful person than I would have been if I went to law school 10 years ago. "The best-laid plans" and such.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited February 2018 2689 karma

I've asked myself this many times, and I have had a hard time putting it into words. And then sometimes, I have a hard time putting it into less words than could fill a book!

@"Leah M B" summed up a lot of my reasons. I want to see how far I can go. I think law would suit my strengths, and many professors and friends (including those already in law) have said as much. My academic performance backs it up rather well; I'm currently sitting on a 4.23 for my BA. I see the versatility of law, and I see areas for job growth and necessity in the future. I think it could be a challenging and rewarding career that provides decent income and may offer stability.

But beyond that, I want to see if I can be the first in my family -- ever -- to enter a profession. There have never been doctors, lawyers, or anyone with a degree in my direct line. College was an unknown, so it was not pushed very much.
    I come from a long line of women who had kids and gave up on everything thereafter. That was almost me (better late than never!). I'm now working on finishing my BA, and I don't see why I should stop there. If I'm going to break this endless cycle, I might as well break, beat, and vaporize the thing. The only thing really standing in my way is the LSAT, and funding. So, really... the LSAT.

I don't have a particular area of law I'm shooting for, and I don't have long term plans. I envy those who have their life mapped out. That has never been me, and as it is, I am in rather uncharted territory being the first to make it this far. I am interested in labor law due to some life experiences I've had, but I am open to the journey and I want to learn what law school can offer me.

Also.. first post! Hi! :smiley:

350 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @jyarmo, I saw her book recently and kind of want to start with the first one she wrote. Did you read the other two?

I didn't read the other two, my daughter got me this one for Christmas knowing that I love E.W. I am in NJ and EW went to Rutgers, which is hopefully where I end up too. I think the other books stand pretty independent, subject-wise of the other books so it didn't seem to matter too much which order to read them in. But now I want to read the others as well, of course!

edited February 2018 8392 karma

@xadrianas6x said:
    I've asked myself this many times, and I have had a hard time putting it into words. And then sometimes, I have a hard time putting it into less words than could fill a book!

@"Leah M B" summed up a lot of my reasons. I want to see how far I can go. I think law would suit my strengths, and many professors and friends (including those already in law) have said as much. My academic performance backs it up rather well; I'm currently sitting on a 4.23 for my BA. I see the versatility of law, and I see areas for job growth and necessity in the future. I think it could be a challenging and rewarding career that provides decent income and may offer stability.

But beyond that, I want to see if I can be the first in my family -- ever -- to enter a profession. There have never been doctors, lawyers, or anyone with a degree in my direct line. College was an unknown, so it was not pushed very much.
    I come from a long line of women who had kids and gave up on everything thereafter. That was almost me (better late than never!). I'm now working on finishing my BA, and I don't see why I should stop there. If I'm going to break this endless cycle, I might as well break, beat, and vaporize the thing. The only thing really standing in my way is the LSAT, and funding. So, really... the LSAT.

I don't have a particular area of law I'm shooting for, and I don't have long term plans. I envy those who have their life mapped out. That has never been me, and as it is, I am in rather uncharted territory being the first to make it this far. I am interested in labor law due to some life experiences I've had, but I am open to the journey and I want to learn what law school can offer me.

Also.. first post! Hi! :smiley:

Welcome!! And that’s so awesome. I’m first generation, too. My parents both went to about a year or so of college and I have 2 brothers that did the same. I’m the only one in my family to graduate from college though and of course will be the first to enter a professional school. It’s really intimidating and there have been a lot of emotional and mindset barriers that have held me back for a long time (I’m 33). So I’m also impressed and excited for you that you’re ready to tackle it head-on so young! You’re gonna do big things. :)

Also - there are some big scholarships out there for first gen students! I know UCLA, Berkeley and NYU all have full tuition scholarships that you can apply for. I’m sure there are more!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

Welcome!! And that’s so awesome. I’m first generation, too. My parents both went to about a year or so of college and I have 2 brothers that did the same. I’m the only one in my family to graduate from college though and of course will be the first to enter a professional school. It’s really intimidating and there have been a lot of emotional and mindset barriers that have held me back for a long time (I’m 33). So I’m also impressed and excited for you that you’re ready to tackle it head-on so young! You’re gonna do big things. :)

Also - there are some big scholarships out there for first gen students! I know UCLA, Berkeley and NYU all have full tuition scholarships that you can apply for. I’m sure there are more!

None of my family went to any college. Graduating high school was considered a massive accomplishment.

I wish I was so young. LoL I've got you beat by 2 years on the age front :wink: I had a lot of lost years due to child rearing, and not having any idea how to navigate or get money for college (we were very working-poor for a lot of my 20's). The big wake-up call was when my daughter asked "What degree do you have, mommy?", and I remembered asking my mom at the same age. Having to say the same lame excuse/answer was like a punch to the gut. That was the moment I realized I had to do something, or she was going to be just like the rest of us.
    Since then, my nieces have started college, and I have encouraged one to go for her AA and not stop at certs, and she took it to heart. They ask for advice on a lot of things I've already been through, and I'm glad being the first helps them.