Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One L Prep Course? BTW, I GOT IN!!

ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 513 karma

Okay so I did the 7Sage LSAT course and got fairly close to the score I wanted on the LSAT. I had 2 addenda (yes I made mistakes) but got the call a few months ago that I GOT IN!!!

anyways, do you think a 1L prep course is worth it? Should we learn a little background before we start this fall?

Is a One L prep class worth it?
  1. Yes or No28 votes
    1. Yes
      50.00%
    2. No
      50.00%

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Which course?

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    513 karma

Barbri one L prep is $500 and Kaplan is $100.

• jpandljpandl Alum Member
    112 karma

What about the KTCOOL larry lawlaw course? I have it on my radar as something to do when I get to that point. I have watched several of his videos and so far like what I see.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@jpandl said:
    What about the KTCOOL larry lawlaw course? I have it on my radar as something to do when I get to that point. I have watched several of his videos and so far like what I see.

I remember @"nicole.hopkins" had nothing but positive words for the program, as it helped her get high marks in Northwestern. She was second in her class. I was wondering if KTCOOLs is still on sale on how we could contact Larry.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I've heard good things from people online who did 1L prep programs. I say if you've got the money and time, go for it! From a cost-benefit analysis perspective I don't see what you have to lose. Seems like it would only serve to help you.

Congrats on getting into law school, btw.

• ZaTablerZaTabler Alum Member
    513 karma

Hell yeah. Thanks everyone. I'm going to check out the KTCOOL program now

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ZaTabler said:
    Hell yeah. Thanks everyone. I'm going to check out the KTCOOL program now

If you end up enrolling and complete it, let us know how it is. I'm strongly considering enrolling in a Pre 1L prep course myself. Anything for a bit of a differential advantage in law school ;)

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Following this thread, didn't know these existed until last week, now I'm intrigued. Internet seems divided, as usual. Most reviews I've seen say these courses are generally helpful, tho by no means necessary, and mayne not worth the money. I've heard LEEWS is a bargain at $100

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Ditto, following just to hear opinions/reviews. Especially being far removed from undergrad, I'm interested in anything that will give me a leg up coming in. It feels like my undergrad was in the stone age compared to now haha. I'm seriously behind the times on even just what technology, apps, etc kids these days are using. :smiley: So can't hurt to get a primer.

3788 karma

I read a post by a TLS user who graduated number 1 in his class in T2 school and he said that 0L prep was necessary for him to succeed in law school. He said basically if you haven't prepared, you are potentially competing against students like him who already went through the supplements for the doctrinal classes before law school and he said his previous experience working 70-80 hours a week made him used to long hours and not prone to the burn out that alot of 1L students face.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    I read a post by a TLS user who graduated number 1 in his class in T2 school and he said that 0L prep was necessary for him to succeed in law school. He said basically if you haven't prepared, you are potentially competing against students like him who already went through the supplements for the doctrinal classes before law school and he said his previous experience working 70-80 hours a week made him used to long hours and not prone to the burn out that alot of 1L students face.

That same game theoretical approach is what is the impetus behind my support for 0L prep programs. The fact that someone I'm competing against for grades may have taken it makes me think it's worth taking even if it's not the most helpful thing in the world.

• melissalibrunmelissalibrun Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Their are some opportunities to get a scholarship for a Barbri Course https://lawpreview.barbri.com/scholarships/

Consider reading Getting to Maybe, 1L of a Ride and Etc.

3788 karma

@"Alex Divine" . Which is why I find it odd there are quite a few people on TLS'ers who say that its better to enjoy the summer and that 0L prep may only lead you to get bad habits

@"Alex Divine" said:

That same game theoretical approach is what is the impetus behind my support for 0L prep programs. The fact that someone I'm competing against for grades may have taken it makes me think it's worth taking even if it's not the most helpful thing in the world.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@"Alex Divine" . Which is why I find it odd there are quite a few people on TLS'ers who say that its better to enjoy the summer and that 0L prep may only lead you to get bad habits

@"Alex Divine" said:

I can understand the argument against it but I simply think the risks outweigh the rewards. Also, I think you can totally do a 0L prep and enjoy your last summer before law school/navigate 0L prep w/out necessarily developing bad habits.

I'm also suspicious of advice like that from TLS. I feel like some of the people who give it are secret gunners who are taking a prep class too and don't want to compete against others who have also taken one. I read tons of advice on TLS that says outlining is a waste, briefing cases are a waste, doing the readings are a waste, going to class in law school is a waste, etc. Obviously I can't say one way or the other because I've never been to law school, but blanket statements like those just make me extremely skeptical about* some of these poster's motives.

3788 karma

Yes! @"Alex Divine". Agreed on all fronts.

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I can understand the argument against it but I simply think the risks outweigh the rewards. Also, I think you can totally do a 0L prep and enjoy your last summer before law school/navigate 0L prep w/out necessarily developing bad habits.

I'm also suspicious of advice like that from TLS. I feel like some of the people who give it are secret gunners who are taking a prep class too and don't want to compete against others who have also taken one. I read tons of advice on TLS that says outlining is a waste, briefing cases are a waste, doing the readings are a waste, going to class in law school is a waste, etc. Obviously I can't say one way or the other because I've never been to law school, but blanket statements like those just make me extremely skeptical some of these poster's motives.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited January 2018 4423 karma

A couple of things...

I'm not skeptical of TLSers motives in that I think they want us to fail. They have often already graduated and are not competing against us so that is of no aid to them. That said I am skeptical of the idea that they are any better equipped than us to judge the usefulness of 0L prep. None of them both did and did not have it so they can't really compare. Instead, just like us they rely on anectdotes from people who did the opposite.

I'm inclined to 0L prep quite extensively over the summer, but not to take a formal class or learn a formal method other than reading Getting to Maybe and similar books. I intend instead to basically pick one of my classes, study for it over the summer as though I were gemuinely taking it and begin taking practice finals in it before the end of the summer using my school's sample exams if I can obtain them and another's if I cannot. This should give me an edge in understanding one class, help me prepare for taking finals earlier than I otherwise would, and hopefully will give me more spare time during the school year. It should also give me some idea of what finals are like and how to prep for them during the semester before I reach the period most students begin prepping for finals which can often be too late.

I've read about people trying to get ahead in one class and do this while in the first semester of law school, but it seems easier to me to do it in the summer.

If there is one thing I have learned from the LSAT, it is that prior lengthy preparation can help people do better at tests where performance is generally thought to be fixed.

1465 karma

@"Alex Divine" I hate to be such a skeptic, but I agree, would definitely not be shocked to find out some (not all) TLS users are sharks trying to mislead others.

@"Seeking Perfection" That's an interesting idea, I like the concept. A) you get some exposure to a 1L class, the style, note-taking, outlining, and exams. B) once 1L starts for real, you can presumably put significantly less effort into that class, and recommit that time to the others. I see that 180 wasn't a fluke, you've got something going on upstairs

1465 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    @"Alex Divine" I hate to be such a skeptic, but I agree, would definitely not be shocked to find out some (not all) TLS users are sharks trying to mislead others.

@"Seeking Perfection" That's an interesting idea, I like the concept. A) you get some exposure to a 1L class, the style, note-taking, outlining, and exams. B) once 1L starts for real, you can presumably put significantly less effort into that class, and recommit that time to the others. I see that 180 wasn't a fluke, you've got something going on upstairs

Ha B ) turns into a emoji, classic

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright", There's a spam comment on this thread by the @seyshenk username. Thought you'd want to know.

3788 karma

Lets all graduate in top 10 percentile in our class even though TLS will scoff and say retake

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Lets all graduate in top 10 percentile in our class even though TLS will scoff and say retake

haha! Facts!

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

Leews is good. At found times, I found Wentworth Miller to be obnoxious at a times and a snob in person. John Delaney's "How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams" and has a book on briefing as well. It is good. Atticus Falcon had an examsmanship course and here is email address: atticusfalcon@gmail.com. He is the author of "Planet Law School: What You Need to Know (before You Go) --but Didn't Know to Ask". Atticus is good.