PT4.S3.G1 - a law firm has exactly nine partners

jpandljpandl Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Logic Games 112 karma

I missed question 4. I actually couldn’t pick an answer because they all appeared to work as I moved my l–n block around for each answer choice. I remember learning that when you have to go backwards in the chain that means those items on the other leg of the chain have no relation. So as I looked at my chain the l–n block had no relation to H, so I am missing the inference that I was supposed to pick up that indicated that nothing could be lower than H or that H had the 9 spot on lock down.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-4-section-3-game-1/

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@jpandl said:
    I missed question 4. I actually couldn’t pick an answer because they all appeared to work as I moved my l–n block around for each answer choice. I remember learning that when you have to go backwards in the chain that means those items on the other leg of the chain have no relation. So as I looked at my chain the l–n block had no relation to H, so I am missing the inference that I was supposed to pick up that indicated that nothing could be lower than H or that H had the 9 spot on lock down.

If you make H before L, then N has no one to have the same salary as since he will be last. So it must be false.

H doesn't have the 9th spot locked down due to the L-N block having no relation to it. That allows it to move around freely. The only thing we know for sure is that K must be first since it's a leader of every other partner.

Check out JY's explanation for it if you're still confused. https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-4-section-3-game-1/

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Look at the chain we create from the rules.

K>I>F>M>G>J>H

we also know K>L>N

Okay, so the question says if N has the same salary as someone else in the firm which must be false.

Well, If every letter has to come before H except L and N, and we put L after H, how could it be possible for N to be paired with any other letter? It's not...K I F M G and J all have to come before H. If we put L after H and N has to come after L we have a chain that looks like this.

• K>I>F>M>G>J>H>L>N

in which case N can not share a spot with anyone. So it must be false that L comes after H. Does that make sense?

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

If you were really quick, you would have scanned for answer choices related to I and H. I wasn't, and went through each answer choice.
    You know that N has to stack with another piece. The credited response creates the scenario KIFMGJHLN. There are no pieces for N to stack with.

• jpandljpandl Alum Member
    112 karma

Thank you. I think that I did not allow the sentence that reads, "If N salary is the same as that of one other partner..." closely enough. I see now that it is thereby inferring that it has to be paired up with one other partner in the chain, which blocks it from being after H. Thanks so much for the help all.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@jpandl said:
    Thank you. I think that I did not allow the sentence that reads, "If N salary is the same as that of one other partner..." closely enough. I see now that it is thereby inferring that it has to be paired up with one other partner in the chain, which blocks it from being after H. Thanks so much for the help all.

This worked well for my visually:
    https://i.imgur.com/t3jsbPr.png

• jpandljpandl Alum Member
    edited January 2018 112 karma

I am glad to see that you write the chain with K on the right. I did this as well the first time I did the game but then found out that it made the game hard for me. I think that the first time I read it I thought the 9 should be the top paid partner, but this just maid the chain feel weird as I moved through the questions. Thank you for showing me how your chain was set up.