Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law and Tattoos?

Hi all-

So I am active duty military, and applying to law school for JAG. Having been active duty for several years, I've collected some not-so-small tattoos, including a half sleeve and one on my calf. While visible tattoos are part of military culture, I understand that they can still be taboo in the law community. It was never something I considered being a possible hindrance until I decided to go to law school. I covered them for an interview today, but I was wondering if anyone has any input on:

1) Whether having visible tattoos at law school interviews, or wearing for example, a short sleeve shirt to class that shows my tattoo work would have consequences?

2) If I choose to leave the military and work as a civilian lawyer, how this would be viewed? As a woman, would I be able to wear a pantsuit vice a skirt suit to make it easier? I'm assuming its dependent on the firm (big law being more conservative, non-profit law less so, etc).

Basically, how screwed am I if I get out of the military and want to practice law? :)

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"madeline.black278" said:
    Hi all-

So I am active duty military, and applying to law school for JAG. Having been active duty for several years, I've collected some not-so-small tattoos, including a half sleeve and one on my calf. While visible tattoos are part of military culture, I understand that they can still be taboo in the law community. It was never something I considered being a possible hindrance until I decided to go to law school. I covered them for an interview today, but I was wondering if anyone has any input on:

1) Whether having visible tattoos at law school interviews, or wearing for example, a short sleeve shirt to class that shows my tattoo work would have consequences?

2) If I choose to leave the military and work as a civilian lawyer, how this would be viewed? As a woman, would I be able to wear a pantsuit vice a skirt suit to make it easier? I'm assuming its dependent on the firm (big law being more conservative, non-profit law less so, etc).

Basically, how screwed am I if I get out of the military and want to practice law? :)

Just be smart about it! Cover them to official meetings, court dates, etc but let them show in public!

I collected about 5 Tattoos in the military as well! Mine are not as visible though.

I think you'll be okay :D don't sweat it!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

As long as you cover them up you'll be fine. So you're not screwed at all, haha. You're correct though that big law and firm jobs will be more conservative and likely view visible tattoos negatively.

Can't speak on how they'd be seen at the law school interviews themselves but I'd recommend covering up just to be on the safe side.

In class, I don't think it will matter much if you wear a short sleeve shirt that shows them. I'm not sure if being a female will change the calculus here at all but I can't imagine any serious consequences aside from the usual judgements people make about those with visible tats.

Does JAG have any rules & regs re: visible tats? I don't imagine they do but it might be worth looking into if you don't already know.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It might be helpful to find a way to connect with a female lawyer to ask about the skirt vs pantsuit issue. I would guess that you'd be fine with pants most if not all of the time, but I could imagine there are instances or employers that require skirts since that is considered more formal. I don't think you'd have any problems showing the tattoos in classes but to any networking or more formal event, you should probably always default to covering them.

• madeline.black278madeline.black278 Alum Member
    15 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    As long as you cover them up you'll be fine. So you're not screwed at all, haha. You're correct though that big law and firm jobs will be more conservative and likely view visible tattoos negatively.

Can't speak on how they'd be seen at the law school interviews themselves but I'd recommend covering up just to be on the safe side.

In class, I don't think it will matter much if you wear a short sleeve shirt that shows them. I'm not sure if being a female will change the calculus here at all but I can't imagine any serious consequences aside from the usual judgements people make about those with visible tats.

Does JAG have any rules & regs re: visible tats? I don't imagine they do but it might be worth looking into if you don't already know.

So, JAG officers are held to their service standard, and because of that I don't anticipate issues while still serving. Our courtroom uniform covers everything, legs and arms anyway!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"madeline.black278" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

So, JAG officers are held to their service standard, and because of that I don't anticipate issues while still serving. Our courtroom uniform covers everything, legs and arms anyway!

Awesome! JAG officers have always intrigued me since they're both military officers and lawyers; 2 of the most badass occupations imo.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

1st and most importantly, Thank you for your service.

I'm eager to finish my full sleeve. Dress how anyone in your position would. "follow" dress code for specific situations but dont let it be something in the back of your mind. Anyone being nitpicky about what ink they see is someone (or school) that I personally dont want to be associated with. That includes any and every admissions officer. On the flip side, tattoos or not, if i had an interview I would wear a collared shirt (for example) for the purpose of the interview not to cover my tats.

Good luck

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    edited January 2018 393 karma

Depending on the calf tattoo, you could always just layer your hose (not necessarily as uncomfortable as it sounds) or even use a little stage makeup. It would be hard for everyday but foundation + powder would cover most tattoos under hose for the situations in which you really needed to wear a skirt suit. Dermablend is the gold standard and comes in a medium-wide variety of shades (you'll have trouble if you're super dark but most other ppl should be ok), but any good waterproof full-coverage foundation should be good enough to go under stockings. Obviously, the bigger the tattoo, the harder this will be, but it isn't impossible.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Awesome! JAG officers have always intrigued me since they're both military officers and lawyers; 2 of the most badass occupations imo.

I'm with ya! I looked this up to see if I could apply for JAG after law school but I'm beyond the age requirement. Bummer. Good luck @madeline.black278 !

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I'm with ya! I looked this up to see if I could apply for JAG after law school but I'm beyond the age requirement. Bummer. Good luck @madeline.black278 !

Awhhh :( I'm sure you'll end up doing what you're supposed to.... It still seems like such a great opportunity. I hear they're way more selective than even the top Vault firms!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Getting a tat of one's #1 school would show great commitment, more than any "Why X" essay could show.

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

I know an attorney who has a tattoo of a crude and cartoonish-looking corn dog. The word "nutrition" is inked just below it. He obviously keeps it covered while at work, which is easy to do as it's on his forearm. I just think it's hilarious and interesting that he's a working professional with this ridiculous relic of his unsavory past tattooed on this arm. The guy seems to be doing alright for himself. A real family man.

But, to answer your question, I'd just keep em covered for the interviews and at work. Better to play it safe and not give any reasons for someone to discredit your abilities based on a lifestyle choice. It would be a shame to not get hired just because of your tattoos.

• madeline.black278madeline.black278 Alum Member
    15 karma

@speedwagon said:
    Depending on the calf tattoo, you could always just layer your hose (not necessarily as uncomfortable as it sounds) or even use a little stage makeup. It would be hard for everyday but foundation + powder would cover most tattoos under hose for the situations in which you really needed to wear a skirt suit. Dermablend is the gold standard and comes in a medium-wide variety of shades (you'll have trouble if you're super dark but most other ppl should be ok), but any good waterproof full-coverage foundation should be good enough to go under stockings. Obviously, the bigger the tattoo, the harder this will be, but it isn't impossible.

Yes! I've been experimenting with Dermablend and the Kat Von D line to find what works, but that was what I basically concluded in the event that a skirt suit was ever necessary.