Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dumb question about communicating with schools

Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member

I've had to email admissions about a couple of things, and I'm not sure how to address the people who respond. When it's not a Dean (say, "admissions officer"), do you reply with first name? Ms/Mr? My job is so crazy casual that I think I've lost judgment on what's appropriate haha.

Comments

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I think if they identify themselves as say, Joe Josephson Assistant Dean of Correspondence, then I think it's appropriate to respond using their first name, including title if they give one. If it is an anonymous email from the admission office, I usually just say, "Dear admissions,".

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Not sure if that really answered your question....?

• SerenityFalconSerenityFalcon Alum Member
    86 karma

Hey Leah, I've been communicating with a few admissions offices as well.
    Note: I work as a paralegal and this etiquette comes from my job.

I always err on the formal side for the first communication.
    Dear Mr./Ms. Lastname (or Dear Admissions Officer -- but only if I don't have a name yet.)

If they sign their reply with their first name AND address me by my first name, then I lower the formality in my next reply, and use their first name. If both conditions are not met, then I continue the formal address. But that's just me.

My logic: Applying to law school is a formality, so a casual first address isn't appropriate.

Good luck!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited January 2018 9372 karma

@SerenityFalcon said:
    Hey Leah, I've been communicating with a few admissions offices as well.
    Note: I work as a paralegal and this etiquette comes from my job.

I always err on the formal side for the first communication.
    Dear Mr./Ms. Lastname (or Dear Admissions Officer -- but only if I don't have a name yet.)

If they sign their reply with their first name AND address me by my first name, then I lower the formality in my next reply, and use their first name. If both conditions are not met, then I continue the formal address. But that's just me.

My logic: Applying to law school is a formality, so a casual first address isn't appropriate.

Good luck!

I agree with this. But I actually continue the formal address even after he/she calls me by my first name and use their first name. I just don't want to give them wrong impression.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited January 2018 8392 karma

Thanks for the input guys, that's what I was thinking. In my line of work, it's a faux pas to be too formal so I felt awkward going with Mr/Ms but I was thinking that was probably the right move. Thanks! :)

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Just a caveat: obviously make sure you know that the person is known as him/her first, as there are some people with gender-neutral names.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@lsatplaylist brings up a good point about gender. Maybe im wrong, but I'm not seeing whats wrong with using the first name. As long as the general tone of the email is polite and not filled with slang or egregious typos, you should be fine. You include the title of the person with first and last name for good measure too