Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have "that" friend...

LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
in General 2134 karma

So a few of us moms and dads got together the other day to hang while our kids played. We were talking LSAT and apparently one of my mom friends is really good at logic. They were all interested in an LSAT question since I keep saying how hard the test is so I complied and chose a 4 star SA question. Would you believe my friend answered that question in about 20 seconds and got it right!! Talk about feeling shitty and stupid at the same time! I couldn't even diagram it. My friend is also a scientist and has a PhD so she's just smart all around. Ah well - I told her she needs to take the test for me, lol. Love her and wish I had her brains. Do you have a friend like that? Ok, back to work.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Hard to conclude anything from a single question. Ask her to do an entire test under timed conditions.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Hard to conclude anything from a single question. Ask her to do an entire test under timed conditions.

She has actually done a few and answered them quickly... I have a feeling she would do amazing.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@LCMama2017 oh well. Don’t let it discourage you. I think we’ve all read comments from those stating they scored in the 160s for their diagnostic. It happens.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited January 2018 3652 karma

I have a family member with an M.D. who spent a very long time looking over the first question of a medium level logic game and he got the answer wrong. I've thrown some LR questions to my frined with a PHD in linguistics and she struggled. I think that, regardless of education level, some people are just able to do well on some parts of the LSAT. It doesn't necessarily mean they can handle successfully sitting through the whole exam or even a whole section. Also, people who are not at all invested in the LSAT, who do have these strong logical abilities, may just do better because they don't care and there aren't any nerves getting in the way.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I've read an article about the LSAT, printed in a law review, in which the author says that they showed a few LSAT questions to older law professors (who had not taken the modern LSAT), and many of them struggled with the questions.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Yeah but when YOU get your high score, you’ll look back at all the hard work you did to get it, and it’ll mean more. :) trust me! Sometimes the struggle to improve and the overcoming obstacles is MORE important than just the score.

The feeling of reward you’ll get is amazing!!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

My ex was really good at reading comp. when I started studying she took a section for fun and only missed 3 questions. I thought that was super impressive! It’s not really helpful to compare yourself to others when it comes to the LSAT though. Some people are just talented when it comes to certain things or have prior experience that helps them. I’m sure there are plenty of things you do seemingly without struggle that she couldn’t do... if anything, ask people like that to help you! :)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I had (past tense) a friend who told me, “I did a sample LSAT question. I got it right. It wasn’t THAT hard.” So I said, “Haha good for you! Why don’t you go to law school too? :smile:

Me:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/QMpqrwgASn8E8/giphy.gif

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I automatically envy anyone who can consistently go -0 to -3 on RC without any prep.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited January 2018 3197 karma

Lol I have a friend like this... he's also a PhD but in Sports Physiology... he's been intrigued by my
    Lsat journey and was in town in December.

I sent him the June 2007 test to do on his 4ish hour flight home gave him the rules 35 min sections... break after the 3rd... he got it right before the flight was about to take off...

He landed and texted "is a 163 good place to start from"...

I wanted to kill him in that moment, he's now taking the Feb LSAT and I'm fairly confident he is going to get a 174+ as the only section he missed more than 3 in was LG on his diagnostic. I taught him some pointers in LG and how to diagram and whatnot well he got a 176 on his last PT. And has only studied games...

He's SUPER logical in life... basically like talking to Spock... but man... while socially it can be a killer... he's going to destroy the LSAT...

Meanwhile... I'm hoping to finally not lose my $#*+ during the test and finally get the 170+ I've been pumping out on PTs for the last 9 months

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I love this Theodore Roosevelt quote that goes, "Comparison is the thief of joy." And it's true. You've (we all have) no doubt made huge gains since we started studying. Just like some people pick up, like, table tennis super fast doesn't mean that you don't have a chance if you keep working at it. Don't let people steal your joy, you got this!