University of Texas (UT) Law Online Video Interview - Kira Talent

Interviews can be a kind of harrowing experience for some people so I wanted to give a kind of play-by-play for folks who may be interviewing at Texas Law. It was a fairly straightforward interview.

Kira Talent (the company that many law schools outsource their interviews to) interviews go as follows: There is no interviewer. You can take the interview at any time within two weeks of registering. You can practice on the questions as many times as you'd like (the practice questions are the same for every school), but you only get one shot during the actual interview (which are different for each school). I would recommend repeating the practice questions until you get three questions in a row that you feel like you answered well. They asked three verbal questions, each of which allocated sixty seconds of prep time and ninety seconds of response time. They also asked one written question, which provided fifteen minutes of writing time within a 300 word limit.

I believe that the questions are likely switched out, but also likely recycled. Here are the questions they asked so that you can prepare:

VERBAL (paraphrased)
1. What brought you to want to be a lawyer and when did you decide?
2. We want to know more about your academic background. Tell us about your favorite class or your favorite teacher and explain why you chose them.
3. What is a passion of yours? Tell us about it.
WRITTEN (paraphrased)
4. What is the last book that you read and what did you learn from it?

If anyone else has taken this interview and wants to contribute their questions, that would be extremely helpful!

Overall, for any interview, I would recommend coming up with thoughtful answers to the following questions:
1. What programs/courses do you want to pursue at X school and how will they help you in your future career?
2. Tell us about a passion project of yours.
3. What is a challenge you've faced?
4. What is your greatest success?

If you're looking for more interview tips and stuff, I'd recommend this guide here, which has been super helpful for preparing me all of these interviews: https://www.collegeessayguy.com/blog/preparing-for-a-college-interview-tips-and-strategies

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thank you! I'm heavily considering UT so this is extremely helpful!!!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I did my interview Saturday! I had the same 3 verbal questions but my written question was:

1. Describe a time when you learned something new
  • bkphalenbkphalen Free Trial Member
    6 karma

Hi, just wanted to add my experience from the 2018-2019 cycle for those who are interested.

My three video questions were exactly the same as the OP's, but in a different order.

My written question was about why I wanted to go to Texas Law. Very straightforward, and a breeze, honestly, for someone like me who has a lot of anxiety about things like this.

• francescagarcia45francescagarcia45 Alum Member
    6 karma

@bkphalen said:
    Hi, just wanted to add my experience from the 2018-2019 cycle for those who are interested.

My three video questions were exactly the same as the OP's, but in a different order.

My written question was about why I wanted to go to Texas Law. Very straightforward, and a breeze, honestly, for someone like me who has a lot of anxiety about things like this.

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to hear a response back from them?