Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do?

WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 102 karma

What should I do if I already told law schools I'm going to take the Feb test but I know that I won't perform very well on it?
My applications are already in. GPA 3.74 Last LSAT 161. Really want to get into some reaching schools like USC and UCLA. Should I mentally prepare myself for rejections and apply again next cycle?

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

It seems like you aren't in the best headspace for taking the february exam. Whats been your PT average and what sections are your weakest?

• WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
    102 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    It seems like you aren't in the best headspace for taking the february exam. Whats been your PT average and what sections are your weakest?

I'm panicking and stressing out, but I feel like I have to do it because I already told law schools I'll take it. My PT average hasn't improved since Dec and so it's still around 160/161. LR and RC are my weakest. LG I can consistently score a -0 or -1.
    I've been trying really hard at BR and really taking every question apart.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@WhatAmIEven said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

I'm panicking and stressing out, but I feel like I have to do it because I already told law schools I'll take it. My PT average hasn't improved since Dec and so it's still around 160/161. LR and RC are my weakest. LG I can consistently score a -0 or -1.
    I've been trying really hard at BR and really taking every question apart.

This is going to sound like the most counter intuitive advice ever. It is also probably sound easier to do than it will be.

You have got to relax. If you build the test up, put extra pressure on yourself, and panic, you run the risk of really hurting your score.

The only options are;

1.) Don't take the test, E-mail/call the schools and tell them to proceed with your application as it stands.

2.) Take the test and do the best you can do. You CANNOT go into the test with a defeated mindset though, and you have got to relax.

As for studying, I wouldn't push too hard right now. I'd keep myself refreshed on material (1-2 pages LR/ 1-2 LG/ 1 passage) but not do any PTs.

I promise, things will be okay. Even if you get rejected from all the schools you apply to, you can reset and go hard with all the new time you have. Don't let the stress beat you down.

• michael_theodoremichael_theodore Alum Member
    253 karma

I'm in the same situation as well. I told a good amount of law schools that I will take the February LSAT. I decided to postpone because that was the best option for me because my goal is to get the best grade that I can on the LSAT. If you feel like it is best to postpone, do that. What's your target score?

102 karma

@michael_theodore said:
    What's your target score?

Target score was 164-165

edited February 2018 102 karma

@LSATcantwin
    I guess I'll go with option 2. Thank you for the advice. I'll just play a lot of video games and do a little bit of practice here and there.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I am not doing so well with applications right now because of this Feb test. Just relax. DO NOT let it get to you. Like many others have said - Saturday is just another practice test. I took one the other day with a "I really don't care right now since I am very exhausted" attitude (not the best attitude but it was better than freaking out) and got my highest score ever - a 165. So seriously just calm down. I get that you told schools you will be taking Feb. I did the same thing. You're not alone.