Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Formal Logic resources! Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

Hey! So, has anyone here taken a formal logic course or found a source like Khan that does one? We hear all the time that this test it all logic, and even through grad school, I never had to take any form. I am wondering if it would be worth taking it as a non-credit class at a local college, but I am really hoping there is a great online resource with a class set up (ys, even if it costs money). Thank you so much in advance for your help!

-AJ

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I've heard good things about a textbook by Gensler. There's a similar book called a Rulebook for Arguments.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

I took one for my major through my university. I don't think it is particularly worthwhile as LSAT prep. I think actual dedicated prep to the LSAT is better. The core curriculum teaches all the formal logic you need for the LSAT.

I am sure a formal logic course heavy in proofs would do you some good. A background in computer science might too. The process by which you learn those things (painstaking repitition) is largely the same as the skills on the LSAT. However, studying them just is not as efficient a way of studying for the actual exam as actually studying for the exam.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, they're going to most likely focus on proofs and maybe some fallacies, but generally for different purposes than the ones the LSAT focuses on. Useful, maybe, but the CC is your best bet.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dazedandconfused said:
    Hey! So, has anyone here taken a formal logic course or found a source like Khan that does one? We hear all the time that this test it all logic, and even through grad school, I never had to take any form. I am wondering if it would be worth taking it as a non-credit class at a local college, but I am really hoping there is a great online resource with a class set up (ys, even if it costs money). Thank you so much in advance for your help!

-AJ

Nah, I think your time is much better spent just using 7sages lessons on lawgic. JY does a better job dumbing it down and explaining it than any book I've come across. If you can't understand JY's lessons on it, I'm not too sure any book or other course will.

fwiw, I have a minor in phil, and I'm not sure it helped me all that much with lsat logic.