Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canadian Going to US Law Schools?

abella123abella123 Alum Member
in General 72 karma

Hi all,
I'm from Canada and am considering applying to the US.
I'm very interested in entertainment law. I'd like to apply to US law schools, but I'm not sure if it'll be a good idea. First off, I'd have to consider cost of school and could only go with a huge scholarship which is easier said than done. Secondly, I know certain Canadian schools allow you to sit for the bar in certain states, but a friend of mine was speaking of NAFTA regulations, Trump and how Canadians won't be able to just "hop on over to practice". I'd also have to consider immigration, I'm not sure if USA jobs offer this option. Either way, I'm considering all of these things because it is something I intend to consider in the near future.
Thanks

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Does UCLA interest you? I'm pretty sure a Canadian student who gets a law degree in the US can then go on to practice in the US after passing the bar, but I haven't been briefed on these latest possible changes to these things so I probably know less than you. I wonder about networking with some Canadian US law grads and/or calling some state bars.

• abella123abella123 Alum Member
    72 karma

For sure. I'm looking at UCLA too.
    One of the schools I'm interested in here as an exchange program at Southwestern in LA, I figured I'd do it and see if I can network well enough to land a gig after school. But I'm also thinking why not just directly go there?> @lsatplaylist said:

Does UCLA interest you? I'm pretty sure a Canadian student who gets a law degree in the US can then go on to practice in the US after passing the bar, but I haven't been briefed on these latest possible changes to these things so I probably know less than you. I wonder about networking with some Canadian US law grads and/or calling some state bars.