Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guidance for Reading comprehension

Hi 7sage Tutors!
I have gone through the Grammar lessons in CC. I need to make sure I am reading the RC statements the right way.While reading RC, I try to figure out the subject, predicate for each of the sentences. And then try to imitate JY, the way he reads while explaining in the lesson. I do it in my mind as if I am explaining myself.
I feel this is making me thinking and get involved with the content. Comprehension has improved but it is taking more time while reading.

Will the time taken reduce after practising this way for a few more passages? And what and how to drill Reading comprehension passages?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Hey, so I really like the work you’ve been doing! Grammar can hide some things with really tricky logical implications, so I think this is a really important exercise. I hope you’re doing it for LR as well!

As great an exercise as it is, it’s really important to distinguish between exercise and strategy. Exercises train you to see things more clearly, but they are not necessarily something to adopt as the way you approach the material under time. That is strategy which needs to be developed independently.

So for this specific exercise, you’ll likely benefit most from doing it untimed. For timed drills you’ll want to develop a section strategy which really alters the way you approach the material in order to maximize the returns on your time. This is a separate exercise which works on different skills.

Hope this helps!

• Do the right wayDo the right way Alum Member
    edited February 2018 181 karma

Thank you @"Cant Get Right". I am happy that you liked the way I am practicing it.
    Though, I'm in a doubt about the separate excerise for strategy for timed section.
    Can you pls give a glimpse of your strategy so that I can get a hint?
    I will try to form my own by keeping it as a reference point :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited February 2018 27823 karma

For me, the foundation of RC strategy is the distribution of time between the passage and the questions. If you can read and retain a passage in 2 minutes, your strategy will be very different from someone who takes 4 minutes to get through the passage. It sounds like you’ll be on the longer end of the spectrum, so your strategy will probably look something like mine. I’m a very slow reader, so I had to adapt my strategy to account for that.

For reading the passage, you need to figure out what you can do in four minutes. You just can’t go much longer than that; your question strategy is already going to have to be aggressive and you just won’t be able to push things much further on that end. So for me, I use annotations to track key details while I keep my mental focus on the big picture stuff. By practicing my annotations, I got so comfortable with them that I don’t have to think about it. At first they actually hurt my score because they were distracting. Once they became second nature though, it really broke the section open for me. It’s definitely not for everyone, but I can’t imagine a better approach for facilitating my particular strengths and weaknesses. Whatever you do though, it really just needs to fit within a four minute window. I’ll go 4:30 every once in awhile on a really tough passage, and that’s fine, but that will usually balance out with an easier passage that I knock out faster.

For the questions, you’ve got to trust your read. You don’t have time to confirm all your answers or agonize over contender ACs. You’ve got to be aggressive because you don’t have the time to be anything else.

Of course, if you read the passage in two minutes, this has a really big impact on your question strategy. So it’s a matter of finding the right balance for your skills.

In your exercises, make sure you study ACs as well as the passage. There’s remarkable subtlety in the ACs, but the more you study it the more sensitive you become at detecting it. This will minimize any attrition you may experience by adopting a more aggressive approach with answering the questions.

There’s a lot of variability in RC strategy, so make sure you maintain flexibility in formulating your own. Start with the time distribution though, and let that guide you from there.

• Do the right wayDo the right way Alum Member
    edited February 2018 181 karma

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Yes, you are right I belong to the higher end of the spectrum so I need to be aggressive while doing the questions . I am forced to follow it that way. I do make mistakes while eliminating ACs in a hurry and more often that not, I attribute it to a flaw in my reasoning as well as the rush at the end moment . So, to recover from these mistakes,
    i will look up the ways for studying the ACs in the CC.
    I hope to find those.

Thanks again for giving a proper guidance.
    :)