Econometrical88Econometrical88 Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Law School Admissions 34 karma

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

This is always such a tough call, and a really personal decision.

I think GW with possibly less than $50k in debt would be a great outcome for you. It gets you into your target market and they do place well in fed government.

I think if I were you, I might study and see if I could break 170 by June and use that for a last minute Hail Mary to get off wait lists. But also deposit at GW. Unless for any reason it is binding but I think you should be able to deposit and then if you get in off a wait list with a better offer, withdraw.

You could defer and work on the LSAT. It’s just kind of a gamble. The GPA is a tough thing to overcome and you may not end up with any better offers. Or maybe you will! It’s tough to know. Splitter cycles are always super unpredictable. I think I’d just lean toward, you do have 1 really solid offer on the table. It’d be tough to give that up not knowing if next year would reallly look any different.

Sorry, not a lot of wisdom to share. Good luck on your decision!

• Econometrical88Econometrical88 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 34 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    This is always such a tough call, and a really personal decision.

I think GW with possibly less than $50k in debt would be a great outcome for you. It gets you into your target market and they do place well in fed government.

I think if I were you, I might study and see if I could break 170 by June and use that for a last minute Hail Mary to get off wait lists. But also deposit at GW. Unless for any reason it is binding but I think you should be able to deposit and then if you get in off a wait list with a better offer, withdraw.

You could defer and work on the LSAT. It’s just kind of a gamble. The GPA is a tough thing to overcome and you may not end up with any better offers. Or maybe you will! It’s tough to know. Splitter cycles are always super unpredictable. I think I’d just lean toward, you do have 1 really solid offer on the table. It’d be tough to give that up not knowing if next year would reallly look any different.

Sorry, not a lot of wisdom to share. Good luck on your decision!

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response! I am sorely tempted to attend GW, between the low max COA ($50K), and especially considering the opportunity cost of waiting another year. That said, I'm planning on doing exactly what you mentioned and depositing at GW while also studying as much as possible between now and June. A big increase may get me off one of the waitlists. However, my wife and I are very happy with the thought of life in DC, and it would also help her career to move into the DC area so thats an added bonus.

My only concern is their IP/Patent Law Biglaw placement. I've heard all sorts of percentages ranging from 10-50% as a part of their total biglaw jobs. As I don't have a STEM background, that's a big question mark! I personally feel that its likely somewhere in the middle of those numbers, but it is a real concern.

But maybe they make up for it with great BigFed placement like you mentioned? A number of those grads likely could land biglaw and could have self-selected into federal service, so that is a consideration.

Thanks so much for your help!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I would retake in your situation. What kind of questions were you getting wrong in LR? Even if you perfected LG, you would get a a high 160s score that would position you for the 170s. Question types like MBT and necessary assumption and flaw benefit from drilling and can help you get additional points to push you into the 170s. Its great that your RC score is fairly strong. I would practice consistently on a RC so you can average minus 3.

34 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    I would retake in your situation. What kind of questions were you getting wrong in LR? Even if you perfected LG, you would get a a high 160s score that would position you for the 170s. Question types like MBT and necessary assumption and flaw benefit from drilling and can help you get additional points to push you into the 170s. Its great that your RC score is fairly strong. I would practice consistently on a RC so you can average minus 3.

Thanks for the response! I am definitely retaking, and am aggressively preparing for the June exam. As far as LR went, it was a mixture of a few careless errors that I recognized quickly on review, parallel reasoning or parallel flaw, and MBT. I will definitely try drilling the question types, excellent idea!
    I have mostly been doing timed LSAT sections and then reviewing them, averaging 3-4 sections per day of studying. During those sections I've strictly been doing LR and LG, and have gone anywhere from -5 to -10 in LR, and 0 to -2 in LG.

How often would you work on the RC? I have been reading difficult scientific material such as the Economist to prep, but have only done RC on my PT's. My last PT I went 168, and felt about half the errors were just silly/foolish on my part. So clearly, much more work to do!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@Econometrical88 said:

Thanks for the response! I am definitely retaking, and am aggressively preparing for the June exam. As far as LR went, it was a mixture of a few careless errors that I recognized quickly on review, parallel reasoning or parallel flaw, and MBT. I will definitely try drilling the question types, excellent idea!
    I have mostly been doing timed LSAT sections and then reviewing them, averaging 3-4 sections per day of studying. During those sections I've strictly been doing LR and LG, and have gone anywhere from -5 to -10 in LR, and 0 to -2 in LG.

How often would you work on the RC? I have been reading difficult scientific material such as the Economist to prep, but have only done RC on my PT's. My last PT I went 168, and felt about half the errors were just silly/foolish on my part. So clearly, much more work to do!

If possible, I would try to do a section or at least a passage or 2 of RC everyday. It's definitely good to hear that you know which problem types give you most trouble. Remember that even careless mistakes indicate a deficiency in the fundamentals so definitely give them the proper attention, which it seems like you will. If you want to push into the high 160s and into the 170s, make sure you know what exactly went wrong with the careless mistakes. Was it tricky answer choice? Did you misinterpret referential language? You want to get to the point where you are able to efficiently move through the questions and the things you do get wrong should be the level five difficulty. It seems you are on a good path, just be more careful and not dismiss mistakes as merely careless.

Good luck!

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

You should join our June 2018 BR group! We deep-dive into tricky LR questions. It's been extremely helpful for me! Also, I went to GW undergrad and know several people who attended law school there. They seemed very happy with their decision and are doing extremely well!

34 karma

@Econometrical88 said:

If possible, I would try to do a section or at least a passage or 2 of RC everyday. It's definitely good to hear that you know which problem types give you most trouble. Remember that even careless mistakes indicate a deficiency in the fundamentals so definitely give them the proper attention, which it seems like you will. If you want to push into the high 160s and into the 170s, make sure you know what exactly went wrong with the careless mistakes. Was it tricky answer choice? Did you misinterpret referential language? You want to get to the point where you are able to efficiently move through the questions and the things you do get wrong should be the level five difficulty. It seems you are on a good path, just be more careful and not dismiss mistakes as merely careless.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the help! I will definitely do the daily RC passages and study my mistakes more throughly.

34 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    You should join our June 2018 BR group! We deep-dive into tricky LR questions. It's been extremely helpful for me! Also, I went to GW undergrad and know several people who attended law school there. They seemed very happy with their decision and are doing extremely well!

I definitely will do that! I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but where would I sign up for that? (still kind of new on 7Sage and unfamiliar with it haha).

Also, thats fantastic info to know! A successful GW Law grad I was fortunate enough to chat with said that in their section, between 8-10 students out of an 80 person section transferred every year. Since the vast majorities of those were folks who likely had grades for Biglaw if they are transferring to the T14, I found that an added bonus and left me feeling their numbers may be a little understated. The gradh also indicated the BigFed opportunities are great.

Thanks so much!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Econometrical88 said:

@teamteamvicster said:

I definitely will do that! I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but where would I sign up for that? (still kind of new on 7Sage and unfamiliar with it haha).

Also, thats fantastic info to know! A successful GW Law grad I was fortunate enough to chat with said that in their section, between 8-10 students out of an 80 person section transferred every year. Since the vast majorities of those were folks who likely had grades for Biglaw if they are transferring to the T14, I found that an added bonus and left me feeling their numbers may be a little understated. The gradh also indicated the BigFed opportunities are great.

Thanks so much!

Obviously very anecdotal, but I also know just one person who went to GW Law and went straight to BigFed. So, not a bad outcome at all.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

34 karma

Thank you! I'll definitely do my best to make it :smile:

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited March 2018 4423 karma

If you care about Big Law and Big Fed I would do everything possible to get into the Top 13 or 14 schools. That said the low debt may make GW viable for you without the big salary promise of Big Law.

34 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    I think GW is a great option for you. Congrats on the scholarship to a wonderful school!

You're right to retake, but maybe see it as an opportunity to leverage GW for some extra $$$. This is a fantastic offer from a school with reasonable DC/NYC placement. I would not call it a trap school at all—if anything, it outperforms its rankings in BigLaw and BigFed placement.

Unfortunately I was declined for scholarship reconsideration and its a one-time-only reconsideration, so that ship has sailed. However, I'm definitely going to use it as a way to leverage any waitlist I get off. That's awesome that it outperforms, I'm beginning to feel like the 38% Biglaw and federal clerkship number they report are understating how many people they can place into biglaw!