SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley Residents + Law School Hopefuls

ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member

Hi All,

I wanted to start a discussion for those who currently live in the SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley. Those who have plans/dreams to attend law school in the SF Bay/Silicon Valley are welcome to join too! #NorCal

I’m curious to see out of those who currently live in the Bay Area, if you plan to attend a local law school or venture on to a new locale. I currently live in the heart of Silicon Valley and will be applying to some of the local law schools, as well as some out of the area/state.

Local Bay Area Schools: Santa Clara Law, Stanford, Berkeley, UC Hastings, Golden Gate, and USF.

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Looking forward to connecting!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I'm in the Bay Area. The only school I applied to near here though is Stanford (and it's a long, long, long shot.)

I basically blanketed the T-14 and added some safety schools as well. As a splitter though it has been a rough cycle. I do plan on leaving the Bay Area though.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hi! :) Not currently in the Bay Area, but did apply to Berkeley. Been ghosted so far though and guessing it's not going to happen haha. But I do think the Bay Area is lovely and would happily be a resident there, for law school or longer.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I'm in the Bay Area! I will be applying to Stanford, Berkeley, and Hastings. I might apply to Santa Clara as well. I will apply this upcoming Fall.

I am undecided if I want to leave Bay Area. I think it's going to come down to which schools I get into and what scholarships I get. :)

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

I'm from San Jose and the only bay area school I applied to was Hastings. All the rest are in SoCal. Born, raised and went to undergrad in the Bay, so I'm excited to try my luck elsewhere :)

• annie1993nwannie1993nw Alum Member
    7 karma

I applied to UC Hastings and Santa Clara. Already got accepted at Santa Clara and might attend. Not living in the Bay Area right now though. Welcome to connect with me :smile:

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    I'm in the Bay Area. The only school I applied to near here though is Stanford (and it's a long, long, long shot.)

I basically blanketed the T-14 and added some safety schools as well. As a splitter though it has been a rough cycle. I do plan on leaving the Bay Area though.

Nice to hear from a local! It seems that a lot of us locals are leaving the area due to various reasons (high cost of living, traffic, etc). There seems to be a mass exodus of sorts from the Bay by locals. Wish you the best wherever you go!

285 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Hi! :) Not currently in the Bay Area, but did apply to Berkeley. Been ghosted so far though and guessing it's not going to happen haha. But I do think the Bay Area is lovely and would happily be a resident there, for law school or longer.

Thanks for your response! Yes, the Bay Area is a beautiful place to live. Plus, there are many job opportunities in the tech industry. However, we do have some of the highest rents in the U.S.! The pros/cons need to be weighed before making a move. Wish you the best in the application process!

285 karma

@btownsquee said:
    I'm in the Bay Area! I will be applying to Stanford, Berkeley, and Hastings. I might apply to Santa Clara as well. I will apply this upcoming Fall.

I am undecided if I want to leave Bay Area. I think it's going to come down to which schools I get into and what scholarships I get. :)

Nice to meet you! I'm in a similar boat and will be applying to a couple of the local law schools this upcoming Fall. Are you taking the Sept LSAT too? I also am considering moving from the area. Law school provides you the opportunity to make a big change and move to a new locale! Exciting times ahead :wink:

285 karma

@EvetteCee said:
    I'm from San Jose and the only bay area school I applied to was Hastings. All the rest are in SoCal. Born, raised and went to undergrad in the Bay, so I'm excited to try my luck elsewhere :)

Interesting! It sounds like you are ready for a change. I also am highly considering a move from the area. It truly is an exciting time! One of my cousins went to Pepperdine and loved the opportunity. He decided to stay in SoCal and now has his own family law firm. He has no plans to move back to the Bay Area. Everyone is different and you have to choose what is best for your own particular life situation. Are you taking the June or Sept LSAT?

285 karma

@annie1993nw said:
    I applied to UC Hastings and Santa Clara. Already got accepted at Santa Clara and might attend. Not living in the Bay Area right now though. Welcome to connect with me :smile:

Nice to hear from you. I also will be applying to Santa Clara this upcoming Fall. They're unveiling the new law school this Fall which I heard will be state-of-the-art! I know a few people that have graduated or are currently attending. If you're interested in tech opportunities in the Bay, they are a great school for that. Would moving to the Bay be a big move for you?

8392 karma

@"aviated.wings" said:

@"Leah M B" said:

Thanks for your response! Yes, the Bay Area is a beautiful place to live. Plus, there are many job opportunities in the tech industry. However, we do have some of the highest rents in the U.S.! The pros/cons need to be weighed before making a move. Wish you the best in the application process!

I know. :-/ I'm currently in Seattle and we are trying our best to catch up to Bay rents, apparently haha. Rents have almost doubled in the 8 years I've been here. 1 bedrooms went for around $800-900 when I moved here and now hard to find one under $1300, average is more like $1400-1500. Still better than SF, but prices are climbing fast. I think that's why it doesn't phase me as much. Used to live in LA too so, story of my life has been trying to figure out how to pay rent lol.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Hi @aviated.wings I'm hoping to take the exam in June/July and September. I'm going to start taking PTs in a few weeks--let me know if you want to take some together!

285 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@"aviated.wings" said:

@"Leah M B" said:

I know. :-/ I'm currently in Seattle and we are trying our best to catch up to Bay rents, apparently haha. Rents have almost doubled in the 8 years I've been here. 1 bedrooms went for around $800-900 when I moved here and now hard to find one under $1300, average is more like $1400-1500. Still better than SF, but prices are climbing fast. I think that's why it doesn't phase me as much. Used to live in LA too so, story of my life has been trying to figure out how to pay rent lol.

Ha! A lot of people from the Bay are moving up to Seattle too. I used to live in LA also. Their rents are "cheaper" than the Bay by far, but still on the high end. Have you made your final decision on a school yet?

285 karma

@btownsquee said:
    Hi @aviated.wings I'm hoping to take the exam in June/July and September. I'm going to start taking PTs in a few weeks--let me know if you want to take some together!

Oh, that's awesome! I'm planning on taking the September test in SF. I'm still going through the Core Curriculum and haven't yet reached the PT drill section. How long have you been studying? Feel free to private message if you'd like!

8392 karma

Just got the ding from Berkeley, haha. So definitely no Bay Area move for me.

Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

285 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Just got the ding from Berkeley, haha. So definitely no Bay Area move for me.

Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Aww...well, I am sure you got into some other great schools! I always say that everything happens for a reason. So many opportunities out there!