Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC Lactation Policy

Eva J 908Eva J 908 Alum Member
in General 19 karma

Hey everyone,

I am a new mom and I’ve registered the June and July LSAT in NYC. I just wonder if anybody know about LSAC’s Modifications for Nursing Mothers policy. https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/policies/nursing-mothers I am considering to request the modification.I know it sounds good, but since LSAC doesn’t give much detail about it and there is few case for reference, I am concerned if there are any potential drawbacks outweigh the benefits for this request.

According to this policy, LSAC may grant applicants extended or additional breaks for pumping. However, I am not sure if longer break is a good idea. I mean could it take me extra time to re-enter into the exam mindset after the break? Beside, I am also worried if they would put me in a single, separate room to take the test, which could make me feel more nervous.

On the other hand, I am five month after childbirth now. Though it is less painful than the first three months, I do feel uncomfortable for more than 4 hours without pumping.

Since I am a first time taker, I really appreciate any experience or advice sharing. And good luck with all your preparation.

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 3072 karma

It may take you a minute or two to re-engage with the LSAT once you return from your break, but I can't imagine you'll think about much else other than the LSAT while you are on the break. I'm sure that won't be much of a problem--if anything it will be a nice little mental break for you. I would request whatever accommodations you require.

I would take the room by myself, too, if that's an option. Much easier to focus.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited April 2018 4423 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    It may take you a minute or two to re-engage with the LSAT once you return from your break, but I can't imagine you'll think about much else other than the LSAT while you are on the break. I'm sure that won't be much of a problem--if anything it will be a nice little mental break for you. I would request whatever accommodations you require.

I would take the room by myself, too, if that's an option. Much easier to focus.

It's also easier to practice being in a room by yourself than simulating a test proctored with a bunch of other anxious people. I don't think the room alone part should be a significant disadvantage. I doubt it is a big advantage either but if it's needed to get the accomodations of longer breaks which you need to feel comfortable during the test, I would take it.

Edit: My testing room was full of sick people coughing and otherwise being distracting(including me so I'm not complaining here). I think a quiet room would have been better for most people.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited April 2018 3072 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@goingfor99th said:

It's also easier to practice being in a room by yourself than simulating a test proctored with a bunch of other anxious people. I don't think the room alone part should be a significant disadvantage. I doubt it is a big advantage either but if it's needed to get the accomodations of longer breaks which you need to feel comfortable during the test, I would take it.

Edit: My testing room was full of sick people coughing and otherwise being distracting(including me so I'm not complaining here). I think a quiet room would have been better for most people.

My testing room was horribly cramped. LSAC forced the proctors to be total asses about it, too, as they bumped into the backs of our chairs every 10 minutes or so as they made their rounds.

I wish I had realized they would do that. I would have sat in the back row. Crazy.

I keep thinking about how jealous I would be of someone who was allowed to sit in a room by themselves. lol

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

My friend proctored for an accomodated LSAT where the test taker was pregnant and he mentioned she had it pretty nice. She was alone in the room, could take as many breaks as she wanted (bathroom/food breaks).

Having a quiet room to yourself means absolutely no distactions, so your focus is 100% on the exam and the additional breaks allow to you get a breather if you feel stressed in a section of the exam. I personally think it's to your advantage, so, if I were you, I'd take it.