Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on LSAC policy change

AlexanderL0AlexanderL0 Alum Member
in General 239 karma
Has anyone thought that the decision to stop the distribution of prep tests might be good for us competition wise? In the future, LSAT test takers will not have the old tests to review and practice from. Maybe this gives us an advantage.

Comments

• mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    edited March 2015 938 karma
    I don't think PTs will go away, I just think they will be switched to a new file type that can expire after "X" amount of time. The LSAT is a huge business for LSAC, and they'd be losing A LOT of money if they stop licensing PT rights to prep courses (as if everything else they charge doesn't make them a lot of money to begin with). I'm not even really worried about 7Sage unless the videos get taken down, but the main focus seems to be the file type of the PTs. We haven't heard anything officially. I'd save all the PTs just in case. Expect nothing, anticipate everything.

EDIT: Let me get more on subject, though. In all honesty being at 7Sage is an advantage when compared to all the students who are traditional test takers taking traditional courses. If you're implying that the vast majority will do worse after the changes, well I'm not too sure. I know a lot of in class prep-courses still use PDFs, at least the courses my fellows classmates have been using. I don't think that will overall affect the vast majority of students unless they just completely removed PTs, which is not likely to happen. Like I alluded to before, it's not the PDFs, it is the videos that are invaluable.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    1) I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of illegal piracy and what not so PDF tests will always float around - not that I endorse this but all the same;
    2) I'm also reasonably sure that the vast majority of people who can afford to contemplate going to law school can afford to buy tests off Amazon in bundles of 10;
    3) People were prepping and going to law school way before PDFs of tests were available;
    4) I'm sure JY and Alan will think of something... modify the file in a particular way or some stuff like that.
    5)This is slightly tangential but related: My going to law school should depend on HOW GOOD I CAN PREP FOR THE TEST and NOT on how lack of prep material will hinder others in not being able to reach their own potential as far the LSAT goes... that's the whole point of 7sage and this forum... JY and Alan created this so that people could reach their potential without having to pay thru the nose for it... to help EVERYONE get to their potential... I don't believe I should be thinking of how advantageous it would be to me if my neighbor did not have the resources to do well.
    So in short: NO. ;)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @AlexanderL0 plenty of folks have worked and will continue to work almost exclusively from the "10 Actual" books, myself included. The only PDF's I've ever purchased were those that are not in print or in the 10 Actuals series (namely 39-51). Those books aren't going anywhere and I think they're the primary source of test material for a substantial segment of the test-prepping population.