Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble with predicting next paragraph in RC

BomhillzBomhillz Alum Member

There's a common questions type in RC where they ask you to predict the first sentence in the next paragraph (ex. PT7.S3.Q7 and PT1.S1.Q27)

I seem to be having trouble with this question type at a high level. What's the best strategic approach for these? And does anyone have a good resource for drilling this question type. #help

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

I really hate these. In an academic paper, you would have major problems if you were to talk about what the author would have said had she kept writing. Whatever they want though, right? Think of them as inference questions about the author's opinion, but with the additional consideration of the immediate context and flow of the passage. That's about all I could ever figure out.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Yeah, these are tons of fun. :]

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited April 2018 1804 karma

Think of those as MSS questions. What is the passage's overall topic, and does it connect smoothly with an answer choice? Personally, when I tackle those questions and find myself stuck for whatever reason, I imagine myself as the passage's writer. The thing in front of my eyes will be published automatically because I have a proven record of awesomeness. Would the combined result deserve to be in The New York Times (or The Wall Street Journal, or the Scientific American, or the American Historical Review, or the Harvard Law Review... whatever your idea of a fancy publication is) with my name attached to it, good enough so I will not become a laughingstock of the whole planet?

Take that one passage about medical profession from PT1, for instance. The passage is about how profession is a public act that requires character and so forth. "(A), handicraft? What are you talking about?... (D), there's confusion about essential characteristics of medical profession? You just outlined it in the last paragraph, you primitive dimwit!" You get the idea.