Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Michigan State or DePaul?

Sak_ 6789Sak_ 6789 Free Trial Member

I have only heard back from these two. Both are offering me $75 k. Still waiting for others to reply. But which of these two is a better option?
I like both Michigan and Chicago. Managed to reach out to some wonderful professors at DePaul during my visit and see a potential of working with them in the future.
I hope to hear back from the others..Cant take the stress anymore.

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Go green!

edited April 2018 4423 karma

If there is anything you want to know about MSU other than law school specific things I can probably answer or get you an answer. I'm in my senior year here and have taken one class in the law school, a law and economics class with Dr. Mercuro (a member of the law school faculty).

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    edited April 2018 5254 karma

How long do you have before you have to pick one? MSU is said to be a nice campus and they seem to have a strength for advising programs, which may be good for finding people to network with. However, DePaul would probably make sense for a person who wants to train and practice in Chicago, and I've heard good things about their school. A disclaimer: I've never been to either campus, but I'm just mentioning things I've heard. It's possible you can't go wrong here as these are two good options. Guessing MSU is a lower living cost?

• Sak_ 6789Sak_ 6789 Free Trial Member
    14 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    If there is anything you want to know about MSU other than law school specific things I can probably answer or get you an answer. I'm in my senior year here and have taken one class in the law school, a law and economics class with Dr. Mercuro (a member of the law school faculty).

Do you know what the job prospects are for Mich State grads at Big law? Also, what are my chances if i wish to practise in some other state/ International after grad?

Whats the cost of living and are there good networking opportunities?

• Sak_ 6789Sak_ 6789 Free Trial Member
    14 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    How long do you have before you have to pick one? MSU is said to be a nice campus and they seem to have a strength for advising programs, which may be good for finding people to network with. However, DePaul would probably make sense for a person who wants to train and practice in Chicago, and I've heard good things about their school. A disclaimer: I've never been to either campus, but I'm just mentioning things I've heard. It's possible you can't go wrong here as these are two good options. Guessing MSU is a lower living cost?

I have to decide in a week. Hoping i hear back from others by then. At this point, I'm looking at which of these two schools will give me a better chance at summer internships and networking opportunities.

So you say Mich State over DePaul?

4423 karma

@"Sak_ 6789" said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

Do you know what the job prospects are for Mich State grads at Big law? Also, what are my chances if i wish to practise in some other state/ International after grad?

Whats the cost of living and are there good networking opportunities?

I have little knowledge of Michigan State's odds at Big Law. I would assume that any people who do get it mostly get it in Detroit and usually have some sort of tie to the Michigan area. But I could be wrong. Some might get it through mass mailing. MSU is about an hour and a half drive (maybe two hours with traffic) or so from Detroit and so I think it is actually beat in Michigan Big Law by Wayne State(located in Detroit as well as U of M. They might place some grads into Grand Rapids firms too. If the other state is your own state then I bet good enough grades at MSU could get you there(I'm not sure what the cutoff is). The same might be true for New York and Chicago. Most other places are hard even from the tip top schools because it is hard to convince them you will stay. I imagine the Michigan State name carries further than DePaul though. Nonetheless, I doubt Big Law is anything to rely on from MSU.

The cost of living is fairly low. On campus housing is about $10,000 an academic year for undergrads, but a little more(I'm not sure how much) for the nicer graduate student housing in Owen. Off campus assuming you find roommates it could be as low as 600-700 a month for a very spacious nice place. People sign up for housing early though so I'm not sure what you could find off campus the first year.

I assume the proximity to the state capital(a 65 cent(without a bus pass), 30 ish minute bus ride away or an 11 minute drive) would provide networking opportunities in addition to the formal ones the law school offers. Externing or something with a legal practice in Lansing or the State Government ought to be pretty feasible from MSU Law.