PT1.S3.Q17 - It is the mark of a superior conductor

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited April 2018 in Logical Reasoning 3652 karma

Can someone explain this question to me please? I totally dont get it. I dont see why superior conductors even have to exist in order for this argument to hold true. I dont really see any of the ACs as being viable.
Like, one could say that the mark of a purple dragon is having scales and a big tail...that doesnt mean that purple dragons have to exist.
I feel like D) tries to hone in on just saying that it is possible for this conditional argument to actually occur in the real world, specifically amongst top orchestras.

This was my thinking:
SC -> AI -> ER

To be a superior conductor, one must have the authority to insist that rehearsal work be intensified, and to have this authority one must earn respect of his/her interpretation

A) & B.) are just nonsense
C) I crossed off bc orchestras could sometimes not be ready. If the contrapositive of the stim. holds true, then orchestras could just never respect their conductor's interpretation and thus never [want to] be ready for intensified work. Also, work could be intensified regardless of the orchestra's readiness.
D) If orchestras sometimes dont appreciate the merits of an interpretation...then those some orchestras just wont respect their conductor and that conductor isnt superior. I dont see how this wrecks the argument since it matches up with the contrapositive /ER -> /AI -> /SC
E) I just ended up guessing this. I dont think this is necessary. It could be the case that all top orchestras are led by superior conductors. It could also be the case that some of them arent led by superior conductors.

Why does this early PT seem way harder than the later PTs ugh

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    edited April 2018 6045 karma

So it's basically saying how we determine who is a superior conducter. For D, my understanding is that the stimulus says the orchestra will respect and give this mark of authority to the conducter because of their interpretation. But... How do they know his interpretation? The work isn't done and that's why they need to practice more. So it must be true that even though the piece isn't complete, the orchestra still appreciates the artistic interpretation. If they didn't... Then the argument falls apart.

For E, it doesn't matter. It's like you said it doesn't have to be necessary.

Lemme know if this makes sense

• nbt19anbt19a Core Member
    6 karma

This question is looking for a necessary assumption. What makes a conductor "superior" is that they can "insist" that rehearsal work must be intensified. However, they can only insist this by "winning the orchestra's respect for the artistic interpretations he or she is currently pursuing". The artistic expression is currently being pursued, which means that the respect is earned during this process of formulating the artistic expression. This assumes that an orchestra can respect or appreciate the interpretations before they are fully completed by the conductor. Answer choice D matches this the best.