PT37,S4,Q24

babybennybabybenny Free Trial Member
edited October 2014 in Logical Reasoning 156 karma
I was stuck between B and E because I thought both could be right answers. So I finally chose E because of the word "net effect". But the answer is B.
The more I looked into, the more I had no idea why E was wrong.
Can anyone explain me why B is correct and E is wrong? :(

Comments

• SoCal JaporeanSoCal Japorean Free Trial Member
    147 karma
    I'll take a crack at it Benny.

Robbert says: Speed limits ignored + Not enough police to properly patrol. Therefore you should put speed bumps to slow traffic.

Shelia says: That's a bad idea. People speeding over speed bumps might cause additional accidents.

B is correct because Shelia is asserting that even though the policy of speed bumps might slow traffic down, it might cause additional problems caused by the implementation of speed bumps (I.E. Going too fast over speed bumps and crashing into a building).

E is incorrect because she is not saying that the speed bump policy will have no net effect on the problems. I'm sure Shelia would concede that there would be less accidents of speeders hitting pedestrians in streets because of the speed bumps. Shelia undermines Robbert's argument by bringing up another factor for consideration (i.e. the number of accidents caused directly by the speed bumps).

For the Answer choice E to be right; Shelia would have to say something like: That idea is pointless. The amount of people being hit by speeding cars will be off-set by the amount of people being injured through speeding over speed bumps.

Hope that answers your question.