Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any alternative range of tests or alternative technique to FP'ing LG 1-35

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Logic Games 3652 karma

I feel like I've probably done a majority of LGs 1-35 almost 10x each. A handful of times back in summer 2016 and then in January 2018 I (Pacifico) FP'd 1-25. Didnt touch another logic game until April. I stupidly thought that that invested time in January would hold over while I studied the LR section of the CC. I was either very wrong and totally lost my competency in LG, or I was lulled into a false sense of confidence from having done those same games so many times.

For the past couple weeks I've been drilling one LR and one RC and then one LG section (from a random PT that I haven't seen before) in a row so I get used to having to do LG in the middle of a PT. I sporadically do really well on LG and I sporadically totally bomb like -10. I've started FP'ing LG 1-35 in reverse order and I'm doing really well...so I'm trying to figure out what exactly my problem is here and how to fix it

I'm not sure if there is a point in FPing games I havent encountered as often like 35-60, since it seems like that range doesnt have the weird LGs that PT1-35 and the most recent PTs have. I was thinking about FP'ing outside of the 1-35 range, and adding in a random 4-5star game from 1-35, so I get a lot of practice on the weird games, while also getting used to doing games that I havent seen before..

Will FPing LG1-35 be sufficient for taking on new games that I've never seen before in the middle of a PT or is there something different/additional I could/should be doing?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I really don't think there's anything magical about 1-35. Before I took the LSAT in December and when I was studying last year, I didn't work through those at all. I've started FPing those recently though and man, there are some weird and tough games in there. I do think it's good to FP a variety and be prepared for anything, but I actually think it's maybe a little counterproductive to only work in those super early tests. There are some odd games in recent tests, but the majority of them are now much more standard and I think it's good to get used to that. I think they can be kinda like LR where you start to see patterns and know what to expect. It's definitely a skill to be able to come across a funky game and have an idea of how to do it, not be thrown for a loop. But I think if you get proficient with the standard games, you can also learn to think on your feet and do a different set up. It's more about being flexible than really learning about weird games. Since the weird games are non-standard, it's not like you can learn exactly how to do them. It's just learning to improvise.

If you've already done most of 1-35, I'd say go ahead and move on to FPing any games you haven't seen before, and more modern ones are good to get used to what you'll see on test day. But then you can use the question bank to pull up the occasional "miscellaneous" game to FP so you can practice the weird ones too.

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

@"Leah M B" I'm sure you have answered this question before, but what PT's did you start on when doing your FP? I am going through 1-35 now as I've seen a ton of people suggest and you are right, some funky stuff in here. I am less than halfway so I'm curious if I should just start on the PT's from 36 and up?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Leah M B" thank you for your comment! I’m gonna FP like 35-60 for now. I saw a comment that @Alex made recently emphasizing that the questions are structured a bit differently from 50 and up so I think it would be better to get more familiar with the newer ones and I can always drill 1-35 in the future.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@jkjohnson1991 I will fully admit that my prep has been all over the place, and I don't think I'd recommend doing what I did haha. Before I found 7sage, I had already purchased a lot of the tests, so I didn't buy the Ultimate+ but began with Starter. So, I didn't have the 1-35 LG pack to study from. Like many unknowing folks, I started with some of the most recent tests and was doing FPing in I think the 60s and 70s. After a few months I realized that I really shouldn't have used up so much of the material from the new tests, because then for PTing I would only have the older ones. So then I jumped backward and started FPing games more in the 40s. I honestly didn't do a ton of FPing either. Again, like many who are new on the LSAT scene, I thought I could be ready a lot sooner than I was, so I was cramming and trying to get a bunch of material in so I could take the test. Of course, I ended up not being ready to sit for the LSAT and just sporadically jumping around the cc and FPing.

While I really don't recommend that method (lol), I do think the randomly jumping around gave me a decent overview of older and newer tests. I worked a lot from the question bank and focused more on practicing and FPing games by type until I felt confident on how to do set ups.

@"surfy surf" Yeah that sounds like a good plan. While I do think there is value in FPing 1-35 for sure, there's value in FPing all of the games. I think different systems work for different people. I didn't have time to FP every game under the sun, so ended up FPing mostly LGs from 50 and upward, and I think I did ok. I think there's something to be said for just paying attention to what you need for yourself instead of always doing what is prescribed. I liked choosing the LGs to foolproof, and focusing in on games by type. I think it helped me learn better how to identify the types and know how to set each up. I think especially for folks like me who are working full time, it's more important to be efficient and to identify and work on weaknesses. That's the nice thing about an online curriculum, you can tweak it to make it work best for you!