Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question about rec letters

gracie.shepherdgracie.shepherd Free Trial Member
edited October 2014 in General 9 karma
I graduated from college in 2010 and am currently in the application process for law school. I had a 3.7 GPA and am scoring around 165+ on practice LSATs. Anyway, I am not in contact with any of my professors from undergrad. What would you recommend as far as rec letters go - is it good enough to have people who can speak to my intelligence level and go-getter-ness, or is there a more creative solution? The letter writers I'm planning on are the editor of the newspaper where I was a business reporter for 3 years (I now work for my dad's brokerage firm, so I can't get him to write one as my boss), and the executive director of the high school mentoring nonprofit I volunteer with. I feel very confident about those letter being detailed and positive, but am worried about the lack of academic content per se.

Thank you so much for any input/help.

Comments

• dvillat1dvillat1 Alum Member
    43 karma
    Hi! I've asked about that too and most law school admission counselors that I have spoken to have said that they prefer academic references. You should definitely consider talking to one about your situation though. Good luck!
  • ricardo.e.mirandaricardo.e.miranda Free Trial Member
    edited October 2014 15 karma
    I won't be taking the LSAT at least for another 6 months. But when it comes time to start the application process, I am wondering if anyone thinks it will be necessary for me to take some part time courses just that I can get the academic reference? Isn't it sufficient if you have a B.S. and Masters in Aerospace and Electrical Engineering. The Masters was earned in Sep 2009. I'm just now getting informed regarding the LOR requirements.
  • Sully8725Sully8725 Alum Member
    edited October 2014 146 karma
    I have no academic references because of when I graduated from University (2009). If you read most schools requirements for letters of recommendation they would like an academic reference if it is relevant.
    If you have to call people up from 5 years ago and be like "umm...hey... do you remember me? I need a reference" how strong do you think that reference will be?
    I personally chose to do what most schools ask for, if you do not have a relevant academic reference choose 2 references that are able to speak to your skills: employer, manager, supervisor at a volunteer position etc. It sounds like you are going to do the same, and they sound like very strong references.
    [And this was a successful strategy for me :)]
    Good luck!