Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weighing the Pros and Cons of Taking vs. Delaying

paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
in General 1032 karma

Anyone who's been on this forum for more than a couple weeks probably realizes that this is a complex and controversial topic. While I value a wide variety of opinions, I'm particularly keen to hear from persons who have taken the LSAT multiple times. Hopefully, those with similar quandaries to my own can also benefit from this thread.

I'm currently slated to write the test in June, and though I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far, I'm fairly confident that I have some wrinkles to iron out before I'd be scoring in my preferred range (170+). My current average is in the 165-168 range. In addition to taking the June test, for the past couple months I've planned on retaking the test in September. I have a flexible job that works around my studying, and I sincerely enjoy the project, so an additional 2 months of prep isn't a con.

That being said, here's my question: what are your recommendations as far as canceling my June test and only taking September versus taking both tests? Weighing in my mind are a couple questions: should I be walking into the test if I'm less than confident that I will earn satisfactory score (I know for many this goes against 7Sage orthodoxy); would taking the June test help to calm nerves in September by providing a sense of familiarity with the experience; would knowing that I have a retake planned help to alleviate some pressure during the June test and, theoretically, help me stay composed?

Though I don't want to put anyone on the spot, I understand that @LSATcantwin , @"Cant Get Right" , @"Seeking Perfection" , & @Alex might have some experience in this area? Any insights you might offer would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

So, I attribute my jump in score from Sept 163 to Dec 171 almost completely to being more relaxed, confident and familiar with the process. I took my first test without 7Sage in sept 2016.

That being said I think you could get the best of both worlds this year.

What would be the problem with holding off until the September test, and use November as a back up? The November test would still give you PLEANTY of time to submit your applications early enough to mitigate harm, you get to postpone to study more, and you still get a shot at two tests. Is there anything forcing this June/July test?

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I haven't taken the test again since I erroneously took it the first time, so I don't know how helpful my comment will be but I honestly don't see the fuss people make about having the experience. All I took from the experience was the amount of waiting that accompanies it. Seriously, you wait outside the classroom, you wait inside while everyone is assigned to their seat, and you wait for a long time after until the test officially starts. You have to fill out a lot of forms. Once it actually starts, the 7sage app is sufficient for the actual experience. Hopefully, you're zoned in on the test and not getting distracted by much else. Also I hope you're also used to all the other test conditions like not using the bathroom until the break and only having a wristwatch, certain other items on your desk.

I can understand taking June if you think there's a plausible chance of scoring in your desired range. I don't know what the purpose of taking it only to cancel would be, since you'll never know your score and wonder what if.

But those are just my two cents on the matter.

I think what will really help answer your question is are you someone that generally struggles with test anxiety? Tests and exams always have a weight to them. Some are worth so much that they will have an impact on your final grade, which impacts your GPA, which impacts your law school chances. I believe law school exams are 100%. Now that they've gotten rid of the three tests rule, I think that by itself will alleviate pressure from the test. If you really think that it might help you be more relaxed, prepared, and ready to kick ass then I think a case could be made for taking in June and September. But as lsatcan'twin points out why not make the two tests September and November?

Lack of anxiety could also be attributed to just knowing you're going to ace it because you know the material and your previous test scores have placed you where you want to score.

Either way, best of luck! Hope you get the score of your dreams :smile:

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Thanks @LSATcantwin and @keets993 for your thoughtful responses! Gosh, it's not an easy decision at all. Regardless, thank you for helping me to work through some of my thoughts and concerns.

My preference would be to not take it in November, primarily because I begin working full-time as an academic writing instructor at a university beginning mid-Sept. Right now seems like the time when I have the most time to focus my attention on preparation. That being said, perhaps the quality of my skills/strategies would continue to improve even if the quantity of prep wasn't there.

One thing that does concern me is that I did postpone my taking of the test in January. (Originally, I was scheduled to write in February). Although think that was the right choice, I don't want to get into a rut of feeling less than confident when the test nears and, then, continuously delaying. (I want to do well on the LSAT, but I want to go to law school, too. :wink: ) Honestly, being somewhat of a perfectionist, this was always a struggle during my undergrad, particularly with getting my honor's thesis finished (where the deadline was flexible) because it was just "not ready." I do wonder if writing the test in June might help by providing a concrete sense of "Yes, I can write the LSAT." I have a feeling that might help alleviate one dimension of my LSAT concerns while prepping.

I remember the first time I began training for a half marathon...often my runs had an underlying sense of anxiety because I was nervous about whether, in the end, I could run a half marathon. I'm up my 7th half now, and I don't have that feeling anymore, and I enjoy training more than I did when I was prepping for that first race. I suspect that, for me, a similar dynamic might be at play in my studying...

Thoughts?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I wouldn't take it before you are at least in range of your goal score.

My goal was a 173 or 174 because with a decent GPA (3.8 ish) that was still solidly under Yale and Harvard's median I wanted an LSAT at least at and preferably above their medians. I wanted this not so much to get in to those schools, but because I wanted to get scholarships at other schools in the Top 14 and they mostly give big scholarships to keep you from choosing the higher ranked schools. I was scoring mostly 173s with scores anywhere from 170 to 175 going into my first test. I ended up getting in that range at a 172. My worst section was logic games and I didn't finish that section on the test so since I was still short of my goal I decided to retake. In general, while I studied hard and foolproofed and blind reviewed and such I felt very comfortable because I already had a score good enough to apply with. On the actual test that didn't have as much of a stress relieving effect as I had hoped because I had some strange version the flu and was just trying to take the test without vomiting or coughing so much they kicked me out for being a distraction. By then I was scoring a median of 178 and had bumped up my goal a little to a 175. I got a 180.

I think the lessons from this overall is that a good score close to your goal can relieve some stress for a subsequent take which could help a little or at least be relaxing while you are studying, but also that you shouldn't expect performance on the real test to vary all that much from that on a PT.

For you I think that means that with an average from 165 to 168 with a goal of at least 170 taking would be reasonable, but may be a slight stretch. If I were you I would try to drill your weaknesses in this last little bit and then hope for a result on the higher end of your PTs. I think delaying would be reasonable too though. For me the tipping factor would probably be that you already paid for the test and planned to take it. But regardless of whether you get a 170 on it or not, I would plan to keep studying and retake in September. You might end up revising up your goals as you study over the summer.

The worst thing that could happen and the best reason not to take the test before you are ready is that you take the test get a 167 or a 168 and settle since those are very good scores and you don't want to spend the summer studying with the risk of an uncertain result as far as benefits go. I am grateful I didn't get a 174 or something on my first take because if I had I probably wouldn't have retaken and with significant additional study done better than I could have hoped for at the start.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

For the most part, I subscribe to the general theory that you shouldn't take the LSAT until you are ready. As background: I ended up postponing twice (June and September of last year) and didn't sit until December, when I felt ready although not yet maxed out. I scored right on par with my PTs at that point (168). I applied this cycle but have decided to push back a year and am studying for a re-take.

The change of lifting the limit of LSATs you can take has made me just slightly change my opinion. I think if you are very close to where you want to be but slightly under, you should go for it. Because of variations, it's always possible to score slightly higher than you expect. The only scenario I think that you really shouldn't take it still is if you are PTing significantly below where you want to be. I would gauge that as maybe 5+ points below your goal. Although schools will mostly just consider your highest score, they will see every score that you have. If you know you're not going to put your best foot forward, why show schools a sub-par attempt?

I feel like you're close and could reasonably take it in June. If you think you could consistently get toward that upper range of where you are now (like +/- 168), then I would vote for you to take. That's not a bad score to have on record, even if you're trying for a 170+. And if you are consistently in that range, it's possible to even hit 169 or 170 on test day. If you think it'd be more likely that you're going to score on the lower range of where you are now (+/- 165), then I'd say wait and just take it in September when you're more prepared.

1032 karma

Thanks for all your thoughts, @LSATcantwin , @"Seeking Perfection" , @keets993 , & @"Leah M B". They've been very helpful as I've been contemplating my options. In the end, I've decided to postpone till September, and then budget for a retake in November if necessary. Waiting until I'm averaging in the range that I'd like to be in seems like a wise route. Unfortunately, this choice was in no small way due to a rather dismaying performance on a PT this morning. Oh well...looking forward. Thanks, again!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" delaying always sucks but just think of how prepared you'll be for September! And if need be, november. Or maybe I'm just greedy and am happy to have another person in the BR group :wink:

Go take some time off from studying to celebrate delaying. Your PT performance could've been affected by stress/burnout. Everyone pushes themself like crazy as the test date approaches.

1032 karma

@keets993 said:
    @"paulmv.benthem" delaying always sucks but just think of how prepared you'll be for September! And if need be, november. Or maybe I'm just greedy and am happy to have another person in the BR group :wink:

Haha! Well...it definitely didn't go the way I hoped it would. But, I'm looking forward to working through some of my weaknesses and feeling more confident for September. The BR groups should be fun! Looks like there's a good mix who are planning on attending. :smiley: