Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Race categorization question

Reissie73Reissie73 Member
edited May 2018 in Law School Admissions 81 karma

Hi, I was just wondering, as I am of American Indian descent, but solely four generations ago... I don’t want them to think I’m faking or something and I don’t look of Native Indian descent, but can I still put it in my race category as well as white/European?

When are you not allowed to anymore?

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I don't think there's an established numerical guideline regarding race categorization. Of course, some reasonable judgment would be nice. For example, a European American who claims to be an African American solely based on genetic connection to the Mitochondrial Eve might make me tilt my head.

What I believe really matters is how you feel about your ancestry and identify yourself. If you feel your ancestry has significantly contributed to your development, then by all means hold your head high and share your background.

• Reissie73Reissie73 Member
    81 karma

Haha I get it, well as long as there’s no numerical categorization then I’m not worried! I definitely feel it has contributed to who I am and am thankful for it. Thanks for your comment @FixedDice

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

I had a similar question. I am 20% Native American. I have pictures of my grandma and a lot of family stories. I am in the process of getting my card from the Bia, which has been a lot of going through the family tree and looking through Dawes records. I want to be super careful and do everything by the book. I know that the board scrutinizes everything when you are applying to take the bar

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

That's a good question. Are you registered with any tribe? If so, I say absolutely YES!
    If not, it might not hurt to see if you can be added to tribal rolls. You know.. paper trails and scrutiny and all that. Better safe than sorry.
    Just because you look a certain way doesn't mean anything. Don't shy away because you fear you don't look like what someone thinks a Native American should.