Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mature student - 7Sage Forum

Mature student

LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
in General 162 karma

What constitutes mature student? I’m referring to Canadian and American law schools. For some reason I thought it meant applying over the age of 25

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Ideally, all law school applicants would be mature. I don't think there's any specific numerical guideline for it. As far as my knowledge is concerned, it vaguely refers to people who worked for +10 years after obtaining their bachelor's, apply to law schools when they are +30 years old, etc.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

25 is a pretty average age. I think 25-26 is the average age of incoming 1Ls at most law schools. I also don't think there's a hard and fast rule. Likely anyone 30 and over would be considered in that category. 28-29 might be a gray area.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Its my understanding that Non-Traditional students fall in the category of being out of undergrad for more than several years. I've always thought of them as late 20s and up.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited May 2018 4850 karma

@Lsatkayy Although my exposure is very limited, I haven't seen the phrase "mature student" used in relation to law school. (That doesn't mean I doubt its use or existence, only stating the fact that I haven't seen it.) Is this a specific question based on the actual use of the phrase "mature student" by a law school / admissions personnel, question on an application, or some other formal use or is this a more generalized question?