Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mature student

LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
in General 162 karma

What constitutes mature student? I’m referring to Canadian and American law schools. For some reason I thought it meant applying over the age of 25

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Ideally, all law school applicants would be mature. I don't think there's any specific numerical guideline for it. As far as my knowledge is concerned, it vaguely refers to people who worked for +10 years after obtaining their bachelor's, apply to law schools when they are +30 years old, etc.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

25 is a pretty average age. I think 25-26 is the average age of incoming 1Ls at most law schools. I also don't think there's a hard and fast rule. Likely anyone 30 and over would be considered in that category. 28-29 might be a gray area.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Its my understanding that Non-Traditional students fall in the category of being out of undergrad for more than several years. I've always thought of them as late 20s and up.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited May 2018 4850 karma

@Lsatkayy Although my exposure is very limited, I haven't seen the phrase "mature student" used in relation to law school. (That doesn't mean I doubt its use or existence, only stating the fact that I haven't seen it.) Is this a specific question based on the actual use of the phrase "mature student" by a law school / admissions personnel, question on an application, or some other formal use or is this a more generalized question?